High Def Settings & Program Backup
warptek
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI,

I just recently upgraded from a 160G HD DVR to the new 500G HD DVR. Problem is there is no way to backup my settings from the existing box to the new box. I have to watch all the programs that are recorded - then delete them and copy all 80 programs that I watch through out the year down on paper BEFORE I can unplug and install the new DVR.

For the amount of money I pay each month you would think that Verizon might have come up with an idea or way to accomplish this; BUT their tech support says NO. I must do it manual.

Anybody got any ideas? The ports on the old DVR: QIP6416-2 are mostly dead. Nothing works. The new one is a QIP7232-2.

Thanks.

Warptek

0 Likes
Re: High Def Settings & Program Backup
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Unforutnately this time customer support is correct.  You will have to view all the shows recorded on your old DVR or lose them and Verizon presently has no way to transfer preferences (including series, parental controls, favorites, etc.).

0 Likes
warptek
Enthusiast - Level 1

I watched all the shows and then copied down everything. Took 2 days. Lucky I had off. Verizon needs to fix this problem. Put a backup settings option to either a jump drive, thumb drive or on-line; and then be able to down load those settings to the new DVR.

Justin46
Legend

@warptek wrote:

I watched all the shows and then copied down everything. Took 2 days. Lucky I had off. Verizon needs to fix this problem. Put a backup settings option to either a jump drive, thumb drive or on-line; and then be able to down load those settings to the new DVR.

I agree. The FiOS developers are well aware of this issue. When I had the opportunity to meet with several of them some weeks ago:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Community-Beat/My-Surprise-Meeting-With-Verizon/ba-p/339893

this topic was the first one I brought up regarding FiOS TV. They nodded yes, they already understood the issue, but I tried my best to reinforce the need for action on this one. However, I really don't think there is much chance that we will see this addressed before the next level is delivered, presumably 1.9.1, which I think is supposed to be sometime in 2012. But we can always hope.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
HakunaKahuna
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also completely agree. As an IT professional myself, I find it ridiculous and unacceptable that customers are not given the opportunity to backup our settings and recorded programs to the cloud prior to upgrading the DVR.  In fact, we should be given the opportunity to periodically back these things up anyway, in case of a hardware failure. This is IT 101!

For what we pay for this service, Verizon needs to get on the ball and fix this issue!

0 Likes