Hooking up a DVD/VCR to the Verizon DVR
opntri2

Is it possible to hook up a DVD/VCR combo unit to the Verizon DVR unit? There is nowhere to plug the coax cable coming from the

VCR/DVD into the DVD player. However, it is possible to do it with a Verizon Fios set top box, there is an additional port in the back of the box for the coax cable, and I have already done it. I would like to also have this set up with the DVR unit.  Why isn't it there a coax connection on the DVR?    

0 Likes
Re: Hooking up a DVD/VCR to the Verizon DVR
Patti
Enthusiast - Level 2
I used an S-Video cord from my 6216 DVR to my Zenith DVD recorder for the picture and the red and white rca cords for the audio. You could use the yellow rca video cord also but I get a sharper picture with the S-Video. The only problem is the S-video connection is on the front of my zenith dvd recorder so the cords show. I usually record the HD channels instead of the analog also, especially if both channels are sending in in the widescreen fomat the HD is sharper and my Sony TV has a zoom function.
0 Likes
opntri2
thank you, I'll give it a try!
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You could also use an RF modulator. Hook the coax from the VCR to the modulator and use RCA cords from the modulator to the STB. This setup should also work.
0 Likes
Gran
I can't seem to get my DVD/VCR to work.  The installer hooked it up and it worked, but I can't get it to show the tapes/dvd's.  It shows that they are playing but not on the TV, any hints?  Thanks
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Without knowing how it is hooked up, it is really pretty difficult to tell what is wrong. But my guess would be that the DVD/VCR device is connected to a second input on your TV, and you are going to have to use the remote control (either the Verizon or the one that came with the TV) to change which input the TV is displaying. If your Verizon remote is programmed to control the TV, then you should be able to hit the TV button on the remote, then hit the A/V (input) button at the bottom left of the remote to switch the TV between inputs, and one of them should be the DVD/VCR device. If you must use the remote that came with the TV, then you are going to have to figure out which button to use to switch inputs, evry manufacturer seems to do it differently. 

If the above doesn't work, I think you are going to have to tell us how the devices are connected.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

here try this site as it is really good and tells you how to hook up all of your equipment

connections guide

0 Likes
Gran

Thank you for your response, the installer wired my combination dvd/vcr and tested it, so I know it worked.  I just don't know how to get it work for 

me. I think he used my FIOS remote, I am not sure about the TV one.  The DVD and VCR show that they are working, but there is no picture.

0 Likes
Norton
I'm also having trouble getting my DVD player to work with my STB. I have the DVD connected to the STB using the cable with the red, white and yellow ends. The DVD player is running, but I can't get the picture to up on the TV. I've tried selecting the "DVD" button on the remote and have used the "A/V Input" button on the remote, but neither of these options has worked. Any suggestions?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Norton wrote:
I'm also having trouble getting my DVD player to work with my STB. I have the DVD connected to the STB using the cable with the red, white and yellow ends. The DVD player is running, but I can't get the picture to up on the TV. I've tried selecting the "DVD" button on the remote and have used the "A/V Input" button on the remote, but neither of these options has worked. Any suggestions?

None of the inputs for video are functional on the Verizon STB.  You need to connect directly to either your AV receiver (if you have one) or the TV.

0 Likes