How do you fix aspect ratio for digital adapter
catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had Xfinity and recently switched back to Fios for what I thought was a comparable deal. It is not. I have a digital adapter instead of a STB and a universal remote with few functions available. The TV image is too wide and cuts off banners and parts of the image. I searched the forums but my Fios remote doesn't have the button for the suggested fix. I used my TV's remote to change aspect but even at 4:3, I'm missing a few letters from banners and the image is too wide. Can this be adjusted or do I have to go back to OTA transmission for improved functionality and image quality?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do you fix aspect ratio for digital adapter
catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no way to fix the aspect ratio with the FIOS supplied digital converter.

If you don't want to rent a set top box, but you want higher res video displayed correctly, I suggest you use the converter on a small, seldom watched TV and use streaming devices and antennas on your good TVs. With your streaming device, you'll be able to login cable channels included with your cable package, watch 4K do all the fancy stuff your remote allows.  That way you'll be able to use your remote's features and see the entire screen.

In addition to lowering resolution and stretching the image, the converter box prevents access to show info, favorites, skipping unwanted channels and all features of the remote except volume and channel changing.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of TV is this hooked up to? A modern LCD TV or a 4:3 CRT TV? Does the TV have a 1:1 setting?

catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a Samsung smart TV about 7 years old. I'll have to check on the 1:1 setting. Will that address the width issue?  No matter which other setting I use, part of the image is cropped. There's no problem watching with Roku or the antenna. It's only a problem with the adapter. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS Adapters are SD (I beleive Comcast has HD adapters)

So it is not going to show up the same on a HD tv.

catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you saying there's no way to fix the aspect problem? I just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting you.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe so.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try running the coax directly into the TV instead of the digital converter on its antenna input. Then do a channel scan. It should find most channels and allow you to select aspect ratios. At 7 yrs old TV should have a digital capable tuner in it.

catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. It worked for OTA channels but cable channels weren't viewable. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@catlady1108 wrote:

Thanks. It worked for OTA channels but cable channels weren't viewable. 

Figured that, that's why you need a box, or TIVO and a cable card. Only have to provide OTA un-encoded.

catlady1108
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no way to fix the aspect ratio with the FIOS supplied digital converter.

If you don't want to rent a set top box, but you want higher res video displayed correctly, I suggest you use the converter on a small, seldom watched TV and use streaming devices and antennas on your good TVs. With your streaming device, you'll be able to login cable channels included with your cable package, watch 4K do all the fancy stuff your remote allows.  That way you'll be able to use your remote's features and see the entire screen.

In addition to lowering resolution and stretching the image, the converter box prevents access to show info, favorites, skipping unwanted channels and all features of the remote except volume and channel changing.