How to completely disable video from TV One Mini when in StandBy mode to enable TV input switching
datro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 2014 Samsung TV that does not support HDMI-CEC.  I have two HDMI devices connected to the TV:  FIOS Mini (HDMI-1) and a NVIDIA Shield Android TV device for streaming (HDMI-2).  Even though the TV doesn't have CEC support, it DOES have logic to scan the HDMI ports for an active signal when the TV is powered on.  Remotes for both the TV One Mini and the SHIELD are configured to control TV power on/off via IR.

My problem is that because the Mini is ALWAYS sending a video signal (screensaver) to its connected HDMI port on the TV, the TV will not auto-switch input to the SHIELD HDMI port when I power on the TV and SHIELD via the SHIELD remote.  The reverse scenario (Power up with Mini remote) works perfectly because when the SHIELD goes into Standby it turns off all video output.

Is it possible to configure the Mini (either supported or un-documented) to disable video output in standby?  If not, I would strongly suggest that Verizon consider adding a configuration option for this in a firmware update for both the TV One and the Mini.  And I would argue that the DEFAULT should be NO VIDEO output in Standby mode.

Any other ideas on how to solve my input control problem?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to completely disable video from TV One Mini when in StandBy mode to enable TV input switchi
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@datro wrote:

I have a 2014 Samsung TV that does not support HDMI-CEC.  I have two HDMI devices connected to the TV:  FIOS Mini (HDMI-1) and a NVIDIA Shield Android TV device for streaming (HDMI-2).  Even though the TV doesn't have CEC support, it DOES have logic to scan the HDMI ports for an active signal when the TV is powered on.  Remotes for both the TV One Mini and the SHIELD are configured to control TV power on/off via IR.

My problem is that because the Mini is ALWAYS sending a video signal (screensaver) to its connected HDMI port on the TV, the TV will not auto-switch input to the SHIELD HDMI port when I power on the TV and SHIELD via the SHIELD remote.  The reverse scenario (Power up with Mini remote) works perfectly because when the SHIELD goes into Standby it turns off all video output.

Is it possible to configure the Mini (either supported or un-documented) to disable video output in standby?  If not, I would strongly suggest that Verizon consider adding a configuration option for this in a firmware update for both the TV One and the Mini.  And I would argue that the DEFAULT should be NO VIDEO output in Standby mode.

Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no way to kill the video output from the Fios One unless you install a manual external HDMI switch. You would think there would be an option, but there isn't. You could try enabling CEC in the Fios box, but I don't think it will resolve the issue.

Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > TV Input Control

View solution in original post

Re: How to completely disable video from TV One Mini when in StandBy mode to enable TV input switchi
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@datro wrote:

Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no way to kill the video output from the Fios One unless you install a manual external HDMI switch. You would think there would be an option, but there isn't. You could try enabling CEC in the Fios box, but I don't think it will resolve the issue.

Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > TV Input Control