How To: Switch between tuners on a dual tunner DVR
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Is there a way to switch between the two tuners on a 7232 DVR?

On the Tivo it's the down arrow.. that didn't seem to work with the Motorola 7232 (not suprised, but I did try just in case)

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How To: Switch between tuners on a dual tunner DVR
lordofring
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last key does the same thing of switching between the tuners .

View solution in original post

rottenkid
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no way to switch between the two tuners, other than hitting the "last" button, which only takes you back to the last channel. I loved that feature on my Tivos and  *D* tv DVR.

0 Likes
lordofring
Enthusiast - Level 3

Justin46
Legend

@lordofring wrote:

Apparently not really. I have never had a Tivo, and I could care less about the functionality these folks are talking about, but as I understand it, on a Tivo, and some other STBs from other manufacturers, there is an ability to start watching a channel on a specific turner in the box, pause that channel, switch to the other tuner, then roam around to other channels while staying on that physical tuner only and not disturbing the original tuner, and then switch back to the original tuner and resume viewing the original program that had been paused. Confusing to me, and I know for sure I could never teach my wife how to do that even if we had the capability, but some people apparently really miss that function.

Hopefully I have described the capability correctly, if not I feel sure one of the folks who used to have it will correct me Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

rottenkid
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are Correct Justin.  It is actually a very simple and usefull function. My wife had no problem. All you had to do is press the "down arrow" to switch tuners. There are a handfull of simple features missing on these DVRs.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@rottenkid wrote:

You are Correct Justin.  It is actually a very simple and usefull function. My wife had no problem. All you had to do is press the "down arrow" to switch tuners. There are a handfull of simple features missing on these DVRs.

You mean I actually said something correct for a change? Amazing..... Smiley Happy ....thanks for the feedback. But you don't know my wife, teaching her to use the multi-room feature to access a recording on my DVR was an exercise in utter frustration Smiley Sad

Keller, TX 76248

mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Wellll.. playing with the 'last' button, it may be switching tuners. It does seem to indicate there are dual live buffers, one for each tuner and the buffer survives the 'last' button as does pausing either or both tunners.

I cannot pause one tuner, press 'last' to switch tunners and then surf a few channels, then press 'last' to get back to my paused tuner. The DVR must toggle tuners each time the channel is changed regardless of pause or position within the live buffer.

Justin46
Legend

@mphare wrote:

Wellll.. playing with the 'last' button, it may be switching tuners. It does seem to indicate there are dual live buffers, one for each tuner and the buffer survives the 'last' button as does pausing either or both tunners.

I cannot pause one tuner, press 'last' to switch tunners and then surf a few channels, then press 'last' to get back to my paused tuner. The DVR must toggle tuners each time the channel is changed regardless of pause or position within the live buffer.

You are correct, that is the way the Verizon DVRs work. Using the Last button does switch tuners. But there is no way to keep the position of one channel in one tuner and switch around channels on the other tuner. And that is what frustrates the former Tivo users, it doesn't work the way their old Tivo did. 

Keller, TX 76248

mphare
Contributor - Level 2

For me, realizing I can switch between two channels and keep the live buffer is enough. I know that those with sports packages, use, what we'll call the TiVo feature, to watch multiple sport events at the same time. They pause the main game, then flip tuners and surf through a few other games to catch up on scores or whatever, then go back to the main game and resume.

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

You are correct, that is the way the Verizon DVRs work. Using the Last button does switch tuners. But there is no way to keep the position of one channel in one tuner and switch around channels on the other tuner. And that is what frustrates the former Tivo users, it doesn't work the way their old Tivo did. 

Keller, TX 76248

Ther is an exception to that statement. If you are recording a program then the LAST button swithces to the last channel tuned which is not necessarily the channel being recorded (ie the other tuner).  In that case, there is no buffer to return to.

Just wanted to thow in a little extar confusion Smiley Tongue