Re: I have had FIOS for 5 days and I am already thinking of cancelling it.
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

@downfall21 wrote:

I have some new issues that are happening now too.

1) My VOD will not play anything. I get an error message when I try to play anything in the menu.

2) I tried to play something on the dvr last night. I hit play and the show that was on tv stayed on the screen. Yet when I checked it was telling me that it was playing my recorded program.  I had to stop the playback and restart it to get it working.

Are these issues resolved in 1.6.2?

Im sorry if i missed it but what STB are you using? If you are using a 7216 they are very buggy and depending on when 1.6.2 is going to be released in your area you may want to request a 6416 HD DVR. That will clear up many problems.

If you are currently using a 6416 and are having the issues you described in this thread then you may have signal and or wiring issues. A spec of dust on a fiber optic lead could cause VOD not to work for example or a bad splitter could cause channels not to tune. You need to have a tech come out and dianose your problem and repair it.

The remote issue you are having sounds like the incorrect codes were programed in to your remote or possibly the remote is defective. If you have a different remote such as a Harmony see if that works, if not when the tech comes out to fix your other issues he/she can give you a new one.

I know it sucks all these thing are hitting you at the same time but "IT" happens but trust me. The HD is awasome and the value is well worth putting a bit of time getting things straightened out.

0 Likes
Thunder
Do you happen to have a Samsung TV?
0 Likes
downfall21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Philips LCD.

I think I may have fixed the remote IR interference.

I changed the remote control code multiple times until I found one that worked better.

The rest of the issues remain.

0 Likes
Jamorg2

Come on Techman28--Can anyone tell us what the deal is with the "Currently Unavailable" Error message?  This is obviously a very common problem.  Doesn't Verizon Fios have some official statement about this? You asked, "1. Currently unavailable...is this on all channels?"  Come on really?  You're a tech guy for this company?  Do a google search for verizon fios "currently unavailable" error and you get over 5900 hits.  Most of them strings of chats and blogs griping about this problem.  If you haven't heard of it, or if you are not familiar with this problem, please escalate to someone who can actually help and not just reply with some cute remarks.  So...just for clarity, let me post my problem:   

I turne on my DVR box (multimedia) and watched for 3-5 seconds on any channel.  Then after I change channels within 5 seconds or so the screen freezes and the words CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE (in caps) come up on a black screen. If I change channels, the picture comes up and all is fine again but the problem then repeats in another 5 seconds.  If you flip to another channel (again, any channel) two or three times, you can get the picture to finally "stick."  The problem happens randomly at anytime throughout the day and some days does not happen at all. 

Calling tech support (ha) is useless...kind of like your responses here. They tell you to reboot---perfect!  What kind of solution is that.  It would be fine if it solved the problem, or even solved it for a few days, but it does not...it only solves the problem at that time.  That's not a solution when you turn on the TV to catch "local on the 8s" and it take 4 minutes to reboot. 

It does not seem to matter the channels involved they all do it but I happen to be on HD channels. 

Again, I ask that you escalate this issue to someone who can actually help the 1,000s of Verizon Fios customers who appear to be having this issue.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Jamorg2,

Those are questions that I ask to determine if there is a possible channel outtage or if its the currently unavailable issue with certian boxes. Obviously he responded saying its on random channels and not all. I do know that it will be fixed with the 1.6.2 upgrade coming out. I do know that this issue is not common on our 6416's or any other box. I realise that 5900 hits come up with google search and if searched further the issue is to be fixed with 1.6.2. Powercycling the box or changing the channel up and down can fix it and extreme cases we will deact and react the box to get it up and running again. Thus verizon has already done what you have asked before you asked for it.

0 Likes
Jamorg2

Another helpful response.  Let me repeat back what I have heard from your response: {please keep your posts courteous}....we know there is a problem, but we don't know when it will be fixed...in the meantime just put up with it.{edited}

I cannot wait to switch back to Brighthouse Cable. 

Message Edited by KaLin on 03-13-2009 08:48 AM
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
This issue again is not common on the 6416's. if you want we can swap the 7216 you have for a 6416 to address the problem altogether. But the fix for this issue is on 1.6.2 and its already starting to roll out.
0 Likes
downfall21
Enthusiast - Level 2

When is the update being released to Pittsburgh, PA? I only have 7 days left of the 30 day trial.

Also when do I get back the $125 fee I had to pay up front to get the install? 

0 Likes
tamfam

ohmigosh this is not encouraging. i just had FiOS installed today, came home from work and can't get VOD -- i get the error message. I switched to verizon because of constantly having to reboot everything on comcast, like multiple times a day. I watch tv usually from 1 a.m. till 4 a.m., and if that's the usual maintenance time and i'll get no reception... grrrr.

i have the 7216 STB -- if it has all these problems, why am I getting it on a new install???

0 Likes
cvarner

I have the same "Currently Unavailable" issue as well -- and my box shows release 1.6.2. (build 08 58).

0 Likes