Re: IMG 1.9.1..channel guide is WAY too dark!
WRKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey VZ how about asking people, or better yet, runing a test and asking for feedback before you make some of these changes, or are the people who are making these changes trying to see how many people complain?

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

I stated this in the TV Programming subforum:

1) There are two descriptions for the new guide: a) looking at the TV through a thick pair of sunglasses or b) someone turning the contrast on your TV down to 10, on a scale of 100.

2) I know that the 1.9 guide received a lot of complaints.  I wonder how many of those complaints were from folks with poorly calibrated TVs - meaning, brightness turned up to 100, backlights turned up to max.  Basically, completely unrealistic brightness on a TV that isn't meant to be there.  I have calibrated my TV, not professionally, but with discs created by the folks on the AVS forums, and I never had an issue with the 1.9 guide.  Writing was nicely contrasted with the background colors, green highlights for sports and red highlights for movies were immediately noticeable.

3) How hard is it to offer users the choice between color scheme #1 and color scheme #2.  With the processors in our DVRs, this seems like a simple and quick software fix.

blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

Got the update on both of my TV's and I think it looks great - much better than 1.9. I guess the make and model of the TV plays a big part on how it looks. I have a 46" Sony XBR LCD and a 32" Samsung LCD - both about 3 yrs old and both display the guide perfectly and the contrast is just right.

Big thumbs up from me.

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

@blueribb wrote:

Got the update on both of my TV's and I think it looks great - much better than 1.9. I guess the make and model of the TV plays a big part on how it looks. I have a 46" Sony XBR LCD and a 32" Samsung LCD - both about 3 yrs old and both display the guide perfectly and the contrast is just right.

Big thumbs up from me.

TV make and model have nothing to do with it.  Your picture settings (i.e. whether your TV is calibrated close to industry standards) does. 

Do me a favor:

Check your TVs and tell me what the contrast, brightness, and backlight settings are.  I'm guessing that you have all 3 cranked waaay up.

0 Likes
EliteGuy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 that has been professionally ISF calibrated. Prior to the 1.9.1 STB update, the channel guide looked perfect when the TV was in the ISF Day/Night modes. Now the channel guide looks way too dark.

Like a few other people in this thread have mentioned, the channel guide probably looks okay to those that have their TV's set in Dynamic or other out-of-the-box modes with the brightness and contrast settings turned up. However, on a professionally calibrated TV where the picture is perfect, the channel guide looks too dark.

I switched from Time Warner Cable to FIOS three months ago and never thought the FIOS channel guide could look worse than TWC's, but it presently does.

Verizon, I hope you are listening...

EvanVanVan
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Bobbo527: No offense, but seriously you have an Anarchy avatar. You probably love dark goth/punk stuff and the color black. Is your computer dark themed too? Most peoples aren't.

0 Likes
EvanVanVan
Enthusiast - Level 3

And to the people who say they like the new colors...

This is what you're seeing that you think looks so good now?

What are you guys smoking?  The old theme looked modern and fresh, this one is dark and dingy...

0 Likes
mayoi1960

Agreed, the new guide is hideous.

0 Likes
sidewrds
Enthusiast - Level 1

This new guide is terrible. After the year of waiting for the new guide with a decently modern and fresh look we finally get it. Now I turn on my TV and get this dark drab guide. I had seen a lot of complaints about the light blue guide being hard to read but could never duplicate that on any of my sets.  I am getting closer and closer everyday to canceling Fios. Maybe if they lose enough customers then they will listen.

0 Likes
Robynf1

It's terrible. Along with the guide being too dark, the HD channels are no longer HD. The resolution is ruined...CHANGE IT BACK!

0 Likes