Re: IMG 1.9 release notes and discussion thread
trippap1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just added FiOS TV service, and one of the reasons was the ability to add an external eSATA drive to increase recording capacity. I've just discovered that I need IMG 1.9 to get support for the external drive, but I can't find out anything about the timing of the roll-out of IMG 1.9 in the northern VA area. Can anyone point me to any kind of schedule or expectation for the roll-out in my area?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@trippap wrote:

I just added FiOS TV service, and one of the reasons was the ability to add an external eSATA drive to increase recording capacity. I've just discovered that I need IMG 1.9 to get support for the external drive, but I can't find out anything about the timing of the roll-out of IMG 1.9 in the northern VA area. Can anyone point me to any kind of schedule or expectation for the roll-out in my area?

As has been said in this thread a dozen times:

The release of 1.9 is currently on hold!!  No time frame or location schecule has been released nor is likely to be released.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

To lighten the mood,   

Project Management Explained

Nothing is as it seems....

LumpyG
Contributor - Level 1

Fortunately, I had already looked through the boards before noticing the eSata FAQ while managing my DVR (I also posted a question/comment to another thread). So I was suspicious that what they were saying there was true. How hard is it, really, to put basics like the 1.9 requirement and what eSata drives have been tested with that? Seems a major disconnect on Verizon's part somewhere. As of right now, that FAW is still there, potentially misleading numerous people. Hopefully anyone that goes out and buys an eSata drive based on the FAQ is either able to take it back, or is willing to wait until they get upgraded to 1.9.

Also, this answers my question from the other thread: the FAQ is definitely wrong - no eSata until 1.9. Too bad someone with 1. 8 had to be misled by Verizon's FAQ's and post here for me to get that answer.

@Keyboards wrote:

@susanlynn9 wrote:

Keyboards, you completely missed my point

Actually I didn't.  The real failure is the fact that they don't include the 1.9 requirement for eSATA to be enabled and what I was told were the drive requirements (which may have changed since then).

I am surprised that the page says that any eSATA drive will work.  I was told by the devlepoment team that a 100 MB THROUGHPUT (not just data transfer rate) and a drive that doesn't do a power saving spin down were required. 

As for capacity, while "any size" drive will work but not necessarily be used.  Originally the maximum utilization was to be 1 TB but that was raised to 2 TB.

BTW - I have brought this issue directly to one of the forum ADMINS and while it doesn't solve your issue, hopefully it will get corrected so others won't be mislead.  I actually do appreciate you bringing this up and while I am not a Verizon employee I apologize for not being more specific in my first response.

0 Likes
ejpbowie
Enthusiast - Level 3

And as of May 20th, the eSATA page is still available.  Is anyone at Verizon listening to these forums?  I too have bought a 2 TB drive based on this information and now have to wait even longer for 1.9 to roll out despite an extended beta test period.

susanlynn9

@ejpbowie wrote:

I too have bought a 2 TB drive based on this information and now have to wait even longer for 1.9 to roll out despite an extended beta test period.

And you still have to hope it even works.

0 Likes
redup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sure interesting that Verizon would post increased storage capacity on the web site, like it applied to everyone with the correct Model DVR and no mention that it would not be available until 1.9 released.  I also got caught up in it and spent 30 minutes in chat with FIOS tech support.  Initially FIOS tech support had no idea what I was talking about until I sent them the info off the FIOS DVR Web page.  Guess I just need to be patient, but then again I read read the FAQs and no mention of 1.9 just the DVR model numbers and I do have a Motorola QIP 7216...go figure......

0 Likes
susanlynn9

Hey I know, let's ask that handsome Verizon dude hanging out on the site....

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/bm1947_2007/Untitled-11-1.gif

He points to the same page. Smiley Mad

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I could just get lost in his eyes....

😛

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

Justin,

You are certainly very gracious man as you believe that Verizon is doing everything right with 1.9.

I was born in Russia and we have saying over there: the cook should make cookies and the plumber should fix pipes, not vice versa...

It seems to me that by choosing to create new IMG 1.9 by themselves Verizon wanted to save money and show that they can write software as specialized software companies can. Well, we all see results here. Verizon don't have enough expertise and knowledge for writing complicated software and they made strategical maistake  with 1.9. I bet that  Verizon will end up by spending more money on development 1.9 by themselves rather then hire outside software company.  DirectTV and Dish did exactly that  and result is very good - reliable, good IMG nobody complaining about.

Verizon, on  the other hand , took a diffrent approach, and it became a disaster.

By the way, I have some unpleasant experience of dealing with Verizon BEFORE I switched to FIOS. I live in condo build in 1978, and for several years I have had a problem with ananlog Verizon teelphone and Internet DSL hooked up to tel. line. Every time after big rain I've  had service interruption then tech from Verizon fixed the line until... new big rain. All my and condo management efforts to replace bad cable were fruitless and the cable is still not replaced. I don't have this problem anymore as I am now on FIOS lines, but I bet that some of my neighbours who did not switch to FIOS still have problem with telphone.

Alex

0 Likes