Installation Issue - Fios TV/Internet
rckmko
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had Verizon come to install my internet and cable on June 9, 2016.  The technician re-routed the cable and internet to a different outlet not previously used by the cable box or modem.  After re-routing, the technician plugged in the cable box, and when he went to plug the HDM from the cable boxI into the television, the television sparked and shorted out, the cable box shorted out, and the power in the apartment went out. 

The next week I had the television repaired by having the internal chip replaced.  The technicians came again and provided a new cable box.  Same thing happened. All shorted, power out, tv destroyed.   

I had electricians come to make sure each outlet was grounded properly and they were.  It is NOT an electrical issue. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I have a new TV coming this afternoon and do not want to ruin another television.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Installation Issue - Fios TV/Internet
rckmko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem has been fixed. 

The initial installation caused a short in the television that was unable to be reparied.  After purchasing new television there were no further issues. Television was cause. 

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you ever had anything else plugged in to this TV?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Clearly a short somewhere possibly the cable is touching a electric power wire somewhere and does not have effective shielding. possibly it really is the the TV, STB, Router, or ONT.

rckmko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing else was plugged into the television.  Both cable box and TV were plugged into surge protector, which was plugged into the same outlet. 

0 Likes
rckmko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Potentially.  The issue the first time may have been a short in the box and the second time may have been a short in the TV, which may have not been properly repaired.

I am going to call the technicians today, and have the original technicians come back to ensure all cable is wired properly. 

I will keep the thread updated. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It is either an electrical fault getting into the coax cable or a bad electrical outlet where the hot leg and ground wire are touching. Do not plug anything else in or hook up the coax cable until everything is tested with a voltage detector.

rckmko
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem has been fixed. 

The initial installation caused a short in the television that was unable to be reparied.  After purchasing new television there were no further issues. Television was cause. 

Thank you!

0 Likes