Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve - they suggest changing service providers?
boss351

My last three calls were attempts to get someone to call me to tell me what the status of the work being done to address the  "Tellabs problem" and every call gets me a promise that someone will call but of course nobody ever does and I call back and go round and round and round. Not sure at this point if there even is a Tellabs problem or perhaps thats what they tell anyone with a problem they can't fix.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent problem Verizon cannot resolve - they suggest changing service providers?
prisaz
Legend

1. What I see here is that it is intermittant and they have not been able to see it drop out?

2. If that is the case it should show something in the diagnostics internal to the ONT. Some type of error.

3. If you cycle the power it clears any diagnostic data that may be stored in memory when you do the cold boot. Battery and Power. Which is hendering the troubleshooting process. Have you been able to get them to run diagnostics in the ONT fron the FSC prior to you cycling power. Perhaps they can catch the issue. It could be a bad cable.

4. Have they tried the fiber drop cable that could be breaking the connection? If it were the OLT then all the ONT nodes on that card would be having trouble.

Just some ideas. A bad fiber connection. Vibration or movement on a bad cable or connector. I would have to go back and look at all the posts, But if your fiber drop is an arial connection, that could be more likely the cause. If the wind blows the cable and or the fiber connection is disrupted, the OLT and CPU at the C/O may have to re range your ONT location on the split for communications. Now if it is underground it could also be an issue, but I would think les likely. When you cycle the power that could very well cause this to happen. I would say the next step is replace the fiber drop cable to the ONT.

Switching to GPON is not a simple task, and may not be possible if your C/O is not configured for it at this time.

Just my opinions, and I am in no way a Verizon FiOS expert. But these are my observations.

0 Likes
boss351

prisaz - I don't know what Verizon tech did or did not do but they have seen the ONT and router in a failed state. I can only assume they looked at all available data and came to their conclusions. Initially they replaced ther router and then then the ONT. When problem resurfaced they had tech onsite talking to next level network support. I realize intermittents are not easy to resolve. I believe I could recreate the problem if I had some software that would push my internet connection to its max as every failure has been when my activity has been high.

0 Likes
fttpline
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here they have seen mine in a fail state. But after talking to Mat he asked that I send them a message when its down so this way they can look into before the FSC has me reboot it to check for a error, and in my case they have changed the loop and tested all my wiring. 

0 Likes
boss351

So I just got a text message and two voice messages tellling me that the two tickets that have been open are closed and the problem has been resolved.. OK, sounds nice but nothing happened at my home other than two days ago there was a network issue where connectivly was not lost but went to dial up modem speed and the info given me when I call was that a router in the network was being replaced. Don't know if that was related but when I spoke to tech support via phone just now they confirmed my tickets had been closed and Verizon considers the problem resolved. When asked what the resolution was all I could get was that the issue was broad across the network and was not related to a Tellabs issue. So now I wait to see if the problem reoccurs (hopefully not) and if it does, I start all over.

0 Likes
boss351

Anthony VZ - can you confirm that Verizon had indeed done something to address and fix this problem??

0 Likes
fttpline
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Mat it's out again here is the tic#{edited for privacy} so you can have your network guy test it

0 Likes
Stevemann113
Hey guys. It's so weird reading this forum. I'm having the same exact issue. ONT needs resetting. It's been getting worse over the year. Now it's every week. My Internet is down now. I'm on my cell. However it's 1am. Ill deal with this from work. Ive had multiple routers and techs DPO. Ill get back to you once I call them. Thanks
0 Likes
Stevemann113
FYI. It's not the wind ect. We just had that SANDY swing thru and service was fine. Now it's out and the weather is cold but perfect. This is most troublesome to say the least. I must say that VZ has been pleasant to deal with though.
0 Likes
Stevemann113
Ok. Just got off the phone with FIOS support. They just told me there is a known software issue with the 75/35 speed ONT. they are working on the issue with the manufacturer.
The only way to resolve at their time is to upgrade to 150/75 and they'll have to DPO to upgrade the ONT. The I can downgrade if I like. But the point is I need a upscale model of the ONT. They will be calling me back with a VZ rep on the line. This way they can reduce the cost for at least the first month. If its too expensive ill down grade in 30 days.
0 Likes