Re: Intermittent video dropouts
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 2 HDTV's a Pioneer Elite 1150, and a Visio 32in Plasma, I also Have a 7216 1 DVR, and a 7100 1 STB.  I get the dropouts on both tv's, but more on the Visio/7216 combo. I aslo get lockups on both boves sometimes when going through the On Demand menus. 

These boxes are terrible.  My old Dish network box was so much eaiser to navigate, it was so much more responsive to commands with either the RF or IR remotes, and It had a usably USB port for adding an external HD.  I had 750GB of movies recorded.  

The Guide was also much more acurate.  There was an episode number, and origanal air date, so you could see if it was a new show or a re-run.  Verizon is trying to blame their inaccurate guide on the channels.  How did dish network get it right then?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Problems with the video cutting out but leaving the audio intact, IS a known issue with the 7216. In fact Verizon is even considering pulling all the 7216's due to all the issues. 6416 stb's are identical to the 7216 when it comes to the connections. the difference is in the internals of the two boxes. The only compatibility problem with the 6416 is mostly with Samsung TV's and it looses both the video and audio

Now the temp solution of switching from HDMI to Component cables....You do realize that there is no picture quality difference between the two until you reach 1080p right? Both component and HDMI can handle the 1080i just fine. And to top it off, most HD programming comes in 720p/i anyway. 1080 is still relatively a small ammount of programs and the number of programs that go all the way up to the 1080p is even smaller. So using the component cables will affect a VERY small amount of programs. At least for the very near future.

0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I see what you are saying about the comparison of the HDMI and component but I disagree. When I 1st changed from component to HDMI the picture was so much better and definitely noticable. everyone that looked at the picture made a comment on how much more vibrant the picture was with HDMI and FIOS over the component video. Hopefully the problem will be addressed and we will start a different discussion on how wonderful the HDMI is ....
0 Likes
chrislaura1
I am also having  this problem with my panasonic  plasma that I just bought.  I have not called VErizon to complain yet.  I  am so frustrated.  Just wondering though if the problem is still there if you run the hdmi cable from the set top box to a receiver then to the TV?
0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem is that my Component input is Occupied by my WII, so all I have left is HDMI's, I can't hook up the WII through HDMI. 

I really think Verizon should dump Motorola and get someone else to handle their STB's and DVR's.  Dish builds their own I think, and they work great.  Motorola builds for many different cable providers, and seems to have problems mating their hardware to the cable/FIOS software. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@chrislaura1 wrote:
I am also having  this problem with my panasonic  plasma that I just bought.  I have not called VErizon to complain yet.  I  am so frustrated.  Just wondering though if the problem is still there if you run the hdmi cable from the set top box to a receiver then to the TV?

Not sure, the problem is that Verizon is not sure EXACTLY where the problem is. they dont know if the problem is with the compatibiltiy between the box and the tv or if it is the output on the box dropping. If the problem is with the compatibility, then connecting to the receiver, then to the tv should hopefully correct the issue. If the problem is with the output dropping then it doenst matter what it is connected to. This is a widespread issue that is getting a lot of attention by Verizon. Time will tell

0 Likes
mab41
This is ridiculous! I have a Panasonic plasma tv and the audio and video drop out for a few seconds at random times. It used to happen once or twice a day and now it seems to happen every 5 minutes or so. It is so frustrating and annoying. Based on my research it appears that the problem is the HD DVR. We pay all this extra money for an HD DVR for our HD tvs yet it doesn't even function properly. Please address this isssue and fix your product!
0 Likes
bout2drop

Sounds very familiar.  When is Verizon going to own up to and fix this problem?  I have a Sharp Aquos SE94U with a 7216 and am tired of the run around regarding whose problem it really is.  Finally found this forum and realize that, as of now, my option is to use component or go to Direct.  It does not appear to be confined to my TV model as the phone techs tell me.  Nor is it my set as everything else runs fine on HDMI.  I also notice that there are no verizon technical responses on this thread. 

0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

We converted 3 months ago from Comcast to FiOS b/c of promises of better service, however, we have had video/audio dropouts from the beginning, with the QIP 7216.  different reps came 6 times in 2-3 weeks, switched out the 7216 for a new one 3 times, and told us (1) that the 7216 was not the problem, and (2) the 6416 would not have dropouts but would not enable the viewing of recorded material from other sets on the home system.  Is that true? Also, when I connect the coaxial cable directly to the HDTV (Sony KDL46-v4100)  bypassing the STB, there are no dropouts.  Also, no dropouts with the regular STBs for our non-HD TVs. The reps stoppped coming, despite scheduled appointments.

So, will the QIP 6416 actually work, including the home media distribution function?

Thanks. 

Message Edited by ethics on 07-09-2009 08:23 PM
Message Edited by ethics on 07-09-2009 08:23 PM
0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have been down this road since I installed FIOS. The problem with the STB QIP 7216 can be solved by changing from HDMI to component. I know this is a drop down in quality but unless Verizon fixes the box with the DVR (7216) then you have no other choice. I have been told by Verizon that HDMI and Component look the same but unless they are blind there is a considerable difference. Isn't this what they advertise, the best picture in fiber optics.....??? Yes we spend all this $$ to have HDTV and surround sound and we have to sacifice quality of the HDMI connection cuz verizon doesn't want to spend our $$ and their profits to fix this situation. I find this a very sad situation and definitely not in favor of the consumer. Hopefully since DirecTV is going 1080p to the TV Comcast and Verizon will deal with this and fix it.
0 Likes