Re: Intermittent video dropouts
vangvace

@Massman wrote:
I am in the IT department and understand what you have stated but cannot understand how the Modem/Router has anything to do with the DVR when they are on a separate incoming line. My intenet connection is not the same connection as the cable feed for the STB, they are split at the Optical. Seems that what this tech reset was on the Fiber end and not the modem/router. My next question is why are they not making this fix accessable to the rest of us? Is there only 1 tech that knows this solution? We all would like to drink from the same well!!
The modem/Router talks to the STB. The guide and a few other features come though the router.
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@Massman wrote:
I am in the IT department and understand what you have stated but cannot understand how the Modem/Router has anything to do with the DVR when they are on a separate incoming line. My intenet connection is not the same connection as the cable feed for the STB, they are split at the Optical. Seems that what this tech reset was on the Fiber end and not the modem/router. My next question is why are they not making this fix accessable to the rest of us? Is there only 1 tech that knows this solution? We all would like to drink from the same well!!
I am NOT in IT, but I do know that the STB and the router communicate with one another (2-way) via the coax, using a protocol called MOCA (no idea what that stands for).  The two runs of Coax are NOT isolated at the ONT.  They are in fact interconnected to facilitate this communication.
0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have a Sony KDL46v5100.  It is connected to a Motorola 7216.   It drops the signal for a second or two on an irregular schedule.  It doesn't matter what channel I am watching.  I have used 4 different HDMI inputs including the ridiculously expensive kind and I have used three different sets of component cables including the expensive kind (what a waste of money).   I tried the same cables on the first set I purchased and returned it because I thought it was defective.  The problem, obviously, lies with the defective HDMI and component inputs on the Motorola 7216.  FIOS is great tv when it is working correctly.  The picture is stunning and then it blacks out.   It kind of loses the magic when this happens.  I have not yet ordered a 6416 because I am not convinced that is a sure thing either.
0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2
As I indicated earlier, I have the same problem, with dropouts 3-10 times per hour.  When I speak w/ FiOS here in eastern Mass., they "don't know" that this is a widespread problem, and their response was to replace the 7216 3 times, and tell me to use component inputs.  Problem persists.  Said they'd bring a 6416, but never did, despite several VMs that I left for them.  They have always been polite, but that is an inadequate response.  Does anyone know if Verizon has acknowledged publicly that this a problem, and that it has a plan to remedy it?
0 Likes
Modulus5

I too have had this problem for months.  At first we thought it to be a Verizon problem, (since our Sony KDL52W4100 was brand new at the time) replacing the STB w/HD DVR twice and still receiving the problem, we turned to Sony.  After going through several weeks of Sony support (I wont' go into details on that here) SOny finally replaced my KDL52W4100 with a new KDL52W5100.

Since the TV was replaced, the video/audio drop out has only occured twice.  I am waiting for the problem to return and after reading this forum, I'm sure it will.  Verizon has not publicly announced this as a known issue on the 7216.  In fact, their field techs don't even know it as an issue.  MY free DVR service runs out soon.  I'll gladly make the switch to the 6416 and get a TiVo to record shows.  I will not go back to component cables over HDMI.  Just doesn't make sense.

This forum is listing the problem as resolved.  I don't read it as such.  Comcast was at my door the other day making a pretty good offer.  I may have to go back.

0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I too have had my TV replaced by Sony from an SXRD 50" to a 52XBR6 I still have th problem using the hDMI. When I talked with Verizon they admitted to me that this is a known issue with the motorola 7216 w/DVR and to go back to component. I did go to component but this only lessons the problem as it doesn't happen as often. If you read other post before this one you will see that one person had their problem solved by a verizon tech who knew what he was doing but unfortunately the other techs don't seem to know the cure or just don't want to say so. Lets spend more $$ with verizon so they can milk us.
0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
How about removing the "solved" box until it is actually solved?   The comments that follow the "solved" icon clearly show it is still a problem.
0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

I notice that some of you have considered that your HDTV may possibly be the cause of the dropouts.  In my case, I determined that this was not the case.  The TV is a Sony KDL46v4100.  When I purchased it in February 2009, we had Comcast service (with which we were very unhappy).  When connected directly to the coax cable - no STB - there were no dropouts.  When connected to an antenna -- so we could see what HDTV looked like, on broadcast HDTV -- there were no dropouts.  Our Verizon FiOS service began in March, and the dropouts were obvious immediately.  However, when the TV was connected directly to the coax cable (from Verizon FiOS), we could see all non-scrambled digital channels with no dropouts at all.  And again, when connected to the antenna, no dropouts.  So I am convinced that our problem is unrelated to the Sony TV, and can only be ascribed to FiOS.

Also, b/c this forum is sponsored by Verizon, I am certain that someone at FiOS is moderating "silently" or otherwise keeping track of our discussion.  Hence I do not understand why there is no straightforward statement by FiOS of a plan to solve this problem. 

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@ethics wrote:

I notice that some of you have considered that your HDTV may possibly be the cause of the dropouts.  In my case, I determined that this was not the case.  The TV is a Sony KDL46v4100.  When I purchased it in February 2009, we had Comcast service (with which we were very unhappy).  When connected directly to the coax cable - no STB - there were no dropouts.  When connected to an antenna -- so we could see what HDTV looked like, on broadcast HDTV -- there were no dropouts.  Our Verizon FiOS service began in March, and the dropouts were obvious immediately.  However, when the TV was connected directly to the coax cable (from Verizon FiOS), we could see all non-scrambled digital channels with no dropouts at all.  And again, when connected to the antenna, no dropouts.  So I am convinced that our problem is unrelated to the Sony TV, and can only be ascribed to FiOS.

Also, b/c this forum is sponsored by Verizon, I am certain that someone at FiOS is moderating "silently" or otherwise keeping track of our discussion.  Hence I do not understand why there is no straightforward statement by FiOS of a plan to solve this problem. 

Direct connection of the signal from antenna or cable to your TV does NOT "prove" thath the problem is exclusively with the STB.  It demonstrates NOTHING relative to a possible problem with HDMI transmission reception/handshake issues between your TVand STB.  These Motorola STBs seem to work pretty well for many customers.  There are, however, more than a few posts in these fora indicating that there are some problems negotiating HDMI hadnshakes between the STBs and certain TVs - mostly Sony's and Samsungs.  Additionally, there are more than a few reports that even if you switch to component video cables (the red, blue, and green ones), and therefore eliminate HDMI as the problem, some still have video dropouts.  In those cases, it seems likely that the problem lies with the STB.  I have read somewhere in these fora that there is supposedly a software/firmware update that is imminent for the STBs that seeks to address this issue.
 That said, I just wanted to point out that none of your evidence "proves" that the issue is with the STB. In particular, the HDMI handshake issues can just as easily lie with the TV as with the STB, even if you have other HDMI sources that work.
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so as sad as it is for me to admit this, I'm happy to know I'm not the only one having "Video Drop Issues." Any idea when this (1.7 firmware) may be released? I just spent 3K on new Samsung LED TV and Denon AVR, with thoughts of simplifying installation via HDMI. Was pretty disappointed to find out the Fios box/receiver is not communicating with AVR utilizing HDMI cables.

I will connect Fios box/receiver directly to TV using HDMI and run a second Optical cable from Fios box/receiver to my AVR (As directed by a Verizon Fios Tech.) I was told this will solve the loss of picture for now, but would really like to reduce the number of cables being used.

I also have a PS3/Blu-Ray connected to my AVR using HDMI cables, that set up works great with no loss of picture when playing a game or blu-ray movie. This just proves to me it's not my AVR or TV.  By the way, after making the connecttion as directed by Verizon Fios Tech, i still get the drop of picture, but it only last for a quick second and comes back in quickly. 

Come on Verizon, I left Direc-Tv after 10+ years of service, don't fail me now. I'm paying you my hard earned $$$, all I ask is you get me/us a quality box that can handle the most modern hook ups without loss of video.  I even ordered the UFC Fight last week and was so disgusted with the constant dropped video, that i stopped watching. Yet another $60 being added to my bill that I didn't really get to enjoy. Wonder if they will discount the price for constantly dropped picture??  (Won't be holding my breath on that one.)

0 Likes