Re: Intermittent video dropouts
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

CapnTrips wrote:

Direct connection of the signal from antenna or cable to your TV does NOT "prove" thath the problem is exclusively with the STB.  It demonstrates NOTHING relative to a possible problem with HDMI transmission reception/handshake issues between your TVand STB.  These Motorola STBs seem to work pretty well for many customers.  There are, however, more than a few posts in these fora indicating that there are some problems negotiating HDMI hadnshakes between the STBs and certain TVs - mostly Sony's and Samsungs.  Additionally, there are more than a few reports that even if you switch to component video cables (the red, blue, and green ones), and therefore eliminate HDMI as the problem, some still have video dropouts.  In those cases, it seems likely that the problem lies with the STB.  I have read somewhere in these fora that there is supposedly a software/firmware update that is imminent for the STBs that seeks to address this issue.
 That said, I just wanted to point out that none of your evidence "proves" that the issue is with the STB. In particular, the HDMI handshake issues can just as easily lie with the TV as with the STB, even if you have other HDMI sources that work.

Thank you for explaining about the HDMI handshake.  As I noted once before, I am unskilled in these matters, and I just want to be able to watch my TV without interruption.  If another device is attached to the same TV by HDMI inputs (XBox, Blu-Ray), and it works just fine, is that b/c the "handshake" is different in some way?

Thanks 

Message Edited by ethics on 07-17-2009 08:27 PM
Message Edited by ethics on 07-17-2009 08:28 PM
0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Thank you for explaining about the HDMI handshake.  As I noted once before, I am unskilled in these matters, and I just want to be able to watch my TV without interruption.  If another device is attached to the same TV by HDMI inputs (XBox, Blu-Ray), and it works just fine, is that b/c the "handshake" is different in some way?

Thanks "

Yes, that handshake is different. It's not on the STB..lol

0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sony KDL-46v5100:  Gave up and put back on the component cables as the loss of signal has gotten worse and now my picture goes black with audio still functioning.  The consensus among 4 viewers is the picture on component is inferior to the picture from HDMI.  For all those who believe the output is always the same because both support 1080i,  keep on believing they are the same except not in my house.

I have read many comments stating Verizon is allegedly working on a solution to this problem.  In the interim, my picture is not as good as Comcast's and that sucks because Comcast's was not as good as DISH's.

Verizon: Please publish an official statement on this issue and an estimate of when it will be solved.  I am not talking about one of the Verizon employees saying they heard it was going to happen.  I am requesting a published statement.   I am with Verizon television service for the quality of picture - not because of their superlative HD DVR or their fabulous IMG with all the program detail anyone could want.   Last point:  it stills thrills me to see the "solved" icon for this thread

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@Humble wrote:

Last point:  it stills thrills me to see the "solved" icon for this thread

Several posters have commented about the "inaccuracy" of the "Solved" icon in this thread.  Evidently, the original poster (mjdjr) has had HIS problem solved, and marked it as such.  If you believe that his problem is NOT solved, then perhaps you should speak to him about UNmarking the thread.

On the other hand, if YOUR problem is not solved yet, well it is NOT the subject of this thread.  If you want to separate your problem from the original poster's, then start a new thread with YOUR problem, and it won't be marked "solved" until you decide it is.

Message Edited by CapnTrips on 07-18-2009 08:26 PM
0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus
If anyone wants their issue separated into its own thread, and are unsure how to do it, please feel free to PM me.
0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3
I believe "Intermittent Video Dropouts" describes my problem exactly.  The issue about "Solved" is that is shown under the subject column.  It is only appropriate for the person who believes their problem was solved.  I have spent a lot of money on a lot of cables and followed the advice of several Verizon technicians and the problem continues without acknowledgement by Verizon.  I don't need a new subject, I need an acknowledgement by Verizon that they are working on this problem and it is in fact at least partially the fault of Verizon. 
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
I do not disagree that you have a similar problem to the OP's.  Regardless my comment above stands.  "Solved" refers to HIS problem, not YOURS.  If you want to keep discussing it in this thread, good for you.  That does not change the fact that for the original poster it is SOLVED.
0 Likes
Massman
Enthusiast - Level 2
OK, If you are stating that this problem is solved and we have to start a new thread t o have the problem unsolved why is it that we cannot find out who the tech is that solved the problem and how the problem was solved. Don't all the techs have the knowledge and instructions to solve this issue? I believe the issue is we all have the problem and 1 person had it solved. How do we get the same service from Verizon or don't they want this to be a non issue?
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

If you believe that the "Solved" marking somehow inhibits your ability to get your problem looked at, so be it.

I agree that Verizon Tech Support is far below any reasonably expectable standard, but that "Solved" annotation in a peer-to-peer forum doesn't make it any better or worse.

I'm done on this topic, since I certainly do NOT know how to solve your problem.

Message Edited by CapnTrips on 07-20-2009 07:31 AM
0 Likes
FiosLongTimeGuy

I cut the copperline years ago, people are sick of me showing them my 'laser' in the back yard.

LONG TIME LurkerFIRST TIME Poster.

MY BOX IS NOW FINE!!

This was still anissue.  Sony XBR4 works fine on everyHDMI source/input. TV Rock SOLID.  Newstb problems got a lot worse when  theyintroduced new "facebook type" widgets.

This issue is beingactively followed on the FiosTV Tech Assist: "HDMI Handshake" thread.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=12057

I highly recommend unplugging your wirelessrouter and your set-top-box. Re-plug the router first and then the stb.  This gives you the best chance of getting thelatest patch.  I did this (rebooting) andthe drop outs have seem to have disappeared. I don't say I solved the thing, but my viewing experience has vastlyimproved. Best picture around when it stays on…..three days now and no dropouts.

0 Likes