intermittent VOD freezing with non-MOCA router
belscrog
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just put in a new router (Linksys EA8500) in the configuration of option 9 from the DSL reports FAQ, as above. Currently, the guide and VOD interface work fine, but VOD freezes after an intermittent amount of time, usually between 2 and 5 minutes. 

Some notes:

1. The network is currently configured as above. I first had the MOCA bridge dropped straight in, that is, connected to one output of a splitter, the other of which went to the STB and had the same problem I desribe above. I went to this simpler configuration in the thought that it might be the coax signal strength.

2. I have a DHCP reservation for the STB MAC to 192.168.1.100 and am forwarding TCP 7547 to 192.168.1.100:35000 and UDP 63145 to 192.168.1.100:63145 as simple port forwards (as copied from the Quantum Gateway). This reports a name to the router of FIOSTV_[MAC address].

3. I also have a DHCP reservation for the cable card MAC to 192.168.1.102. This doesn't seem to matter or do anything, and that jibes with what I've read.

4. Self diagnostics on the STB show everything green, including ability to use a remote DVR. OOB SNR is 28 dB ("good") and MOCA Tx is 236 and Rx is 198.

5. Before receiving the MOCA bridge, I was using the Quantum Gateway as a MOCA bridge and running its own LAN for just the STBs. VOD worked fine, but other devices on the Linksys LAN lost internet every 255 seconds or so (not consistent). I think I may still be having this problem, but I'm having trouble diagnosing it.

So questions:

1. Am I doing the port forwarding correctly? I don't think so, because I don't think that would work if I had two STBs.

2. Is the VOD stream over the ethernet or the coax? If so, perhaps I got the wrong MOCA bridge? This one is the MOCA 2.0, which may not be support by the STB?

3. Can anyone suggest a tool for monitoring the network drop-offs?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: intermittent VOD freezing with non-MOCA router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are losing internet on devices on your router LAN, sounds like an issue with either router or connection to ont. Possibly not.

Do you still have quantum router? If so, can you try that and see how it works?

BTW, pic did show up.

Takes a while to publish.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't see your diagram yet.

Are you using Quantum hardware (VMS and IPC)?

If so, then your MOCA rates look low.

belscrog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, sorry; I didn't notice the level--privilege scale. I'll try it in ascii:

[ ONT ] --ethernet-->[ ROUTER         ]

|                 [ linksys EA8500 ]

|                     |

coax                   |

|                     v

---------->[ MOCA BRIDGE       ]----->[ STB              ]

[ Actiontec ECB6200 ]      [ Cisco CHS 335HDC ]

So not the Quantum STB, no. With the bridge dropped in, i.e.:

|

v

[ MOCA BRIDGE ] --------|

out 

------------------------>in[ SPLITTER ]out---->[ STB ]

I get MOCA rates of Tx 224 and Rx 217. So about the same. I should also note that the live HD TV is fine.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are losing internet on devices on your router LAN, sounds like an issue with either router or connection to ont. Possibly not.

Do you still have quantum router? If so, can you try that and see how it works?

BTW, pic did show up.

Takes a while to publish.

belscrog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turned out to be the Linksys router. It started doing other weird things, so I dropped in a new router and everything seems to be working as intended.

0 Likes