internet access via TV
jobrienfios

I just bought a Vizio TV with built in wifi.  During the setup, it finds my router and asks for the passcode.

I enter it but it fails to connect.  I triple checked the passcode and it is correct.  Tried using the qwerty keypad on the TV remote and also the onscreen keyboard.

My router is an Actiontec MI424-wr rev E, just over 3 years old.  Could it be the TV has newer technology that the old router doesn't recognize?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: internet access via TV
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

What security are you using?  I had an issue with a Vizio BD player and found out from their tech support that you need to be WPA or WPA2 - they don't work with WEP.

0 Likes
jobrienfios

WEP.  I saw the option to upgrade the securuty to WPA but teh warning said other devices might not work with it, so I chickened out.  I have 2 laptops and an old desktop with an external wireless adapter.

Don't want to cause more problems trying to fix one:)

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Almost all devices designed since 2004 will have no trouble with WPA2.  It has been mandatory for Wi-Fi–certified devices since 2006.  Since 1999 many devices could do WPA, including some that were updated via software/firmware to support them.  So we are really talking older devices.

We have gotten to the point that many devices have wpa2 builtin to their hardware, and do badly with WEP which they have to simulate via software.

0 Likes
Spartan3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have you preserved upper and lower cases in the Vizio TV password (passwords are typically case sensitive).

Are you using WEP with your other connected devices?

0 Likes
jobrienfios

If WPA2 has been standard since 2006, how come my router, installed in 2009 shows it is using WEP?

Should I push Verizon to replace the modem at this point?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jobrienfios wrote:

If WPA2 has been standard since 2006, how come my router, installed in 2009 shows it is using WEP?

Why would you want to replace it? You said it is an ActionTec Rev. E, right? Just because Verizon delivers the router with WEP activated does not mean it doesn't support WPA/WPA2. Log into the router and change the encryption to WPA/WPA2 and I would bet all will be well with all of your devices. And if for some reason you have another device that won't work with WPA, then just change it back.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jobrienfios wrote:

For whatever reason Verizon defaults to WEP, but there are advanced wireless options that should allow WPA and WPA2.  My REV-C router supports all 3 and am currently running WPA2.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Note the lastest couple of Verizon Actiontec routers do default to WPA2.

0 Likes