IR Input
GregJulie

I just got Fios installed after I moved into my new home.  The previous owner also had Fios, and kept his stereo, fios, dvd, equipment kept on one end of the room in a cabinet, while his TV was on the far wall.  My living room is set up exactly the same.  He had an IR extender wired from the box hub  to the tv area.  A Cat 5e cable is spliced with a male portion of the IR extender on one end at the box hub, while the other end at the tv is the other end of the 5e cable spliced with the IR receiver hooked to it.  He says that worked great for him(I even saw it work before I moved in)  Anyways, It's not working for my tv.  I have to aim the remote towards the back of the room at the box.  With the IR extender plugged in, the light at the TV end is on and shows power to the receiver, but it just does not work for the tv remote. 

What could be the problem?  Any solutions?  Do I just need an actual new IR extender?

Thanks

Greg

0 Likes
Re: IR Input
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@GregJulie wrote:

... previous owner  ... kept his stereo, fios, dvd, equipment kept on one end of the room ... while his TV was on the far wall ... He had an IR extender  ... It's not working for my tv ...

One possibility is that his STB did not function like yours (i.e., different model, etc.).  More likely, his modified cable just isn't wired correctly to match your equipment.  I'd suggest you take a look at the following thread, where I found that there is indeed a difference between an "IR extender" and an "IR repeater."  You will also find a link to the supplier.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Motorola-QIP-2500-Remote-IR-Extender/m-p/4...

0 Likes