Is it in my head?
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having an increasing number of problems with my HD picture looking bad. .  

I have a 7232 and the recording of 'Frozen Planet' March 18 was really bad. It was most visible in the 1/2 second or so between the show and the commercial break.  

I played several back in slow motion, and the picture is very, very blocky.  The blocks in the screen are regular in size, roughly 20 across and 10 down, and they seem to be fragments of the picture out of order.

On live feeds, the picture stutters, but I don't see any blocking.

**bleep**????? 

Is it my 7232?  The signal FiOS sends to the ONT?  The original feed from Discovery?

My head?

Spoiler
Smiley Frustrated
0 Likes
Re: Is it in my head?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Is this happening on other boxes in your house or just this one? This is a problem with the signal leading to the box. Unscrew the coax cord from the wall to the box. Once both sides are unscrewed, look at the ends of the cord to make sure they are good and straight. Screw both back on and check the quality. If you are still having problems after that, please send me a private message

0 Likes
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem is showing up on other boxes, as well; even when I'm watching an SD channel on a non-DVR box.

My cabling from the ONT to the boxes is in excellent shape.  I have a 'home run' for each of the boxes, so I don't believe the cable is at fault.  

Last night, again, I had very noticeable problems watching 'Frozen Planet' on Discovery Channel -- live, not recorded.  

I was able to capture the problem with my video camera, and would be glad to send some stills so you can see the problem.

Thanks,  Photoflash 

0 Likes
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Verizon tech came out on Friday and replaced the splitter.  This seemed to help with my SD channels in the kitchen.

However, 'Frozen Planet' on Discovery HD remains basically unwatchable.  At this point, I'm confident that the problem lies outside of my house; either with the Discovery channel broadcast or at the Verizon headend.   Oh, and 'The Killing' on AMC HD is even worse in terms of picture quality.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If its a problem with the signal that those channels are on, it would happen for any show, not just particular ones. Do other shows on Discovery HD or AMC HD have the same troubles?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

AMC has been poor since RAINBOW decided to bundle it 4 per QAM to all its customers (amc, Women's Entertainment, Fuse, IFC).  Not sure if they or Verizon have now done something to the Discovery channel.  I believe its set by its provider as Mpeg4 and setup to be able to fit 3 per qam when converted to Mpeg2.  Don't know if Verizon is sending out as 2 or 3 peq qam for this channel.

0 Likes
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

All of the AMC HD shows are pixellated -- as many others have reported.    I haven't seen other Discovery HD shows as bad as "Frozen Planet".  I was very much looking forward to watching this series; that's why I'm so annoyed that the quality is poor.

Most of my other HD channels are fine and have no pixellation, either live or recorded.  

-- Photoflash

0 Likes
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Geez.... I was out of town for a couple of days, and the problem was 'resolved' because I didn't reply to the tech message soon enough?  What?

The picture quality is still poor.  Nothing has been effective in resolving the problem with the picture quality.  

If Verizon is still interested in solving this problem, I hope they will forgive me for not responding within their 'deadline' for a response.

Please forgive me, Verizon!!!!

-- Photoflash

0 Likes
dave_langer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you get pixelation on NBC as well?

I get a second of pixelation when ever anythings moves fast.   I see it on my HD box and my SD little box as well.

I had a tech come look a few months back but I still get he same issue.   

Its not the TV since I dont see this with blurays.  It has to be an issue with verizon.

Can they give us a stronger signial to see if that helps?

Is this what you are seeing?

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5804/foodcrap6.png

That is what I see on fast moving scenes

0 Likes
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem is NOT resolved.  According to Verizon personnel, the problem is an 'issue' they are having with NBCUniversal, the distributor of the Discovery channel.

Until 'someone' steps up to the plate, a good chunk of the channels I enjoy are, essentially, unwatchable.  

0 Likes