Re: Is Remote DVR real of fictional?
barryvabeach

Justin, you are the man,  I think.   I get everything from FIOS ,  and while the service is great, if I gave someone a budget of $250 million and 2 years to work on it with the goal to make a website as unintuitive and frustrating as possibile, I don't anyone could do a better job than the current site.  I have used the dvr remote 3 or 4 times, but tired to use it a dozen times and each time I stumbled all over the site, signed in on a screen, then was asked to sign in on the very next screen again, got to the mysterious .com or .net option ( with no explanation of which was for what ) and often every once in a while stumbled on the right page, and used the remote dvr, more often I just gave up.  The few times I got in, I  saved that page as a favorite, but when I would try to access the favorite again, it would be a different page ( because I didn't save the page until I got in, I wasn't saving the login page.  I just used the link you provided and it has worked twice in a row.   YOU ARE THE MAN.    Of course,  why you can't find that link when you search for remote dvr on the support page ???.   Thanks   Barry

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Barry,

"...and it has worked twice in a row..."

If it works three times in a row I am off the hook, any failure must be somebody elses fault, right? Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, I do hope it continues to work for you. I do not use it very often, but a couple of times I have been up at our lake house and realized that I had failed to set it to record something I wanted, the remote DVR function saved the day for me.

I developed and supported a website for the last 5 years for a property owners association, plus I was in the technical side of the computer business for 37 years, so I do have some background in software and website design and support. It just drives me nuts to visit websites that are more enamored with glitzy graphics and flash and whatever other crap they can come up with rather than presenting the data I really need or ensuring that page navigation is easy and obvious and that links work.

I suspect in Verizon's case the problem goes back to their ancestry of being just a phone company with the relatively limited functionality needed to support that, then adding wireless and DSL and FiOS, etc, and not ever stopping to go back and do an overall re-design to accomodate all of the stuff they now have. I think instead they just kept adding on, and we got the mess we have now. And IMO their phone ordering and support system suffers from the same patchwork design and implementation.

I have had some private conversations with some Verizon website folks, tried to explain some of the issues I see, but I am really not sure I got through to them. Maybe so, I can hope. But of course it is now such a large and convoluted mess that the effort to make it work properly would be very large and expensive. So who knows whether we will see any significant improvements.  

Here is a link to a thread I created some time ago with links to a variety of Verizon website areas: Link. Originally this post was stickied to be at the top of the My Verizon (My Account) forum but it lost its stickiness somehow. Some people have posted some additional information in the thread, but since I do not have any ability to update the original post I cannot update the chart. But maybe you will find some other links in there that might help you in the future.

Anyway, I wish you good luck, and thanks for the nice comment.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
kennyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

My problems with the Remote DVR started when I had to switch DVR's. Since then I have called Support at least 5 times over the course of 3 weeks and every time I try to access it I get  "Set Top Box is not Responding". The Tech Support people (who have been very nice and are embarrassed they can't fix the problem) keep sending Tickets to the Remote DVR Group (whoever they are) and I have been told numerous times they would get back to me and they NEVER DO. I have been told this is a problem in all of Texas (which I don't believe). I was always able to use the remote DVR from the first day until I got the new box. Everyone has told me it is just a coincidence that I started having the problems.

This has been a running joke in my house and I can't believe after all of these calls that no one knows what the problem is and can fix it.

PS: I guess I should be happy the **bleep** TV works.  

0 Likes