Just trying to move a box!!
maizie477

Hello,

My 1st floor tenant moved out, cancelling their Verizon service.  I have a STB in an unused 3rd floor bedroom that I want to put on the 1st floor for my daughter.  There are 3 different wires outside (1 to each floor).  I thought it would be a simple matter of switching the 1st and 3rd floor connections but apparently I was wrong.  I'm also being told that I need a technician to come out and set something up (for $70) even though all the wiring and equiptment is already there and I'm not looking for anything extra.

If I'm wrong ok It just seems like it shouldn't be this hard!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just trying to move a box!!
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It you and your tenant each had their own service, then you each had separate ONT's and coax runs somewhere along the line.  While your concept is correct ... connecting the first floor outlets to the same cable plant as your second/third floor cable plant should work just fine -- somewhere along the line, I suspect what you think is the cable which goes to the first floor outlet in question is not the actual cable. 

A little cable sleuthing is going to be needed here to trace the cable from the outlet to where it actually connects.   Have you looked to see if there is another ONT somewhere?   There could also be a lo-pass in-line filter somewhere which would have been installed if you both had internet service which would need to be removed.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you each had your own service each with your own ont?

If so, are you certain you have the correct cable?

Fee to send tech out is just like a plumber.

There is a fee just to show up.

Verizon is not responsible for in house wiring unless you have a wiring maintenance plan.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It you and your tenant each had their own service, then you each had separate ONT's and coax runs somewhere along the line.  While your concept is correct ... connecting the first floor outlets to the same cable plant as your second/third floor cable plant should work just fine -- somewhere along the line, I suspect what you think is the cable which goes to the first floor outlet in question is not the actual cable. 

A little cable sleuthing is going to be needed here to trace the cable from the outlet to where it actually connects.   Have you looked to see if there is another ONT somewhere?   There could also be a lo-pass in-line filter somewhere which would have been installed if you both had internet service which would need to be removed.