Keep getting "no signal" on hdmi for a few seconds a few times an hour
wessock
I've got a 52" Samsung ln52a630 hooked up to a Fios 7216 DVR through HDMI, firmware 1.6.2. Only had Fios for about a month and before had Comcast hooked up the same way to their moto DVR. Aside from the green bar on the right issue, HDMI worked perfectly with the comcast box. Ever since I had fios installed I randomly lose the signal for a few seconds. Both sound and picture go at the same time and the TV says that thee is no signal, then it comes back by itself a few seconds later. This is on live TV and recorded shows in both HD and SD. If I rewind to before the signal dropped, it plays back fine so it's not in the broadcast or anything. This happens 2 or 3 times an hour on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've unplugged the HDMI and reset the box, gone into the service menu on the box and reset the 1080i setting, but it hasn't helped. Both the TV and HDMI cable are only a few months old and I don't get the problem with other devices. Anybody have the same problem or a fix? Using Component cables isn't a fix because I do see a difference in picture quality. I haven't seen the same problem on a google search but have seen handshake issues that might be the same but other TV's might handle it differently showing slightly different syptoms.
0 Likes
Re: Keep getting "no signal" on hdmi for a few seconds a few times an hour
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1

The problem could possibly be a HDMI handshake issue, try checking if there is a firmware upgrade for your samsung tv.

http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Firmware would be a good place to start.

0 Likes
wessock
Yeah I already checked and there isn't one.
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1
There used to be a problem with the set top boxes and samsung TVs over HDMI.  The only solution was to go to component cables.  That's what I ended up having to do and it has been fine.  I prefer HDMI, but it's acceptable.
0 Likes
wessock
I may be wrong, but wasn't that problem an all the time thing? Wasn't it a green screen after 30 seconds of turning it on and it stayed that way? This is fine for the most part, just annoyingly the signal is lost or not sent for a few seconds every once in a while. Plus the comcast box is basically the same box and it was fine.
0 Likes
MMEERAN

I was having the same problem. Every other day, I used to call verizon to reboot the box. Verizon support visited twice to find the problem in inside & outside wiring in my house. But nothing was working. Second guy, who visited my house suggested to change the box. But he couldn't do it because of verizon settop box activation system was down.

Next day, I called the support for the same issue, that guy told me to press "power" followed by "select" twice on the set top box. In the menu choose 4th option. In the send screen, look for "SNR". For me it was N/A or 0.00 dB. The finding was box is not able to get the signal properly. So, he ordered a new box. 

I am waiting for it. I will update the forum if it solves the problem.

0 Likes
wessock
The problem may be a bad box, but I think your problem is different. Like I said, the signal to the box is fine since recordings record fine and live TV buffers fine. When I rewind a recording after the HDMI no signal thing, it's all there and plays fine. If I had a no signal issue, the problem would repeat itself in the same spot since there would be a hole in the recording. The length of the HDMI cut outs would differ too I'd think and these are all the same. It's more like the box is resetting the HDMI connection randomly. From my old comcast box I'm unfortunately all too familiar with the moto box service menu and haven't seen any problems whenever I've checked.
0 Likes
hawkfan51
I too have the same exact issue as you describe.  I have the samsung LN52A650.  All software updates for the TV have been done.  Using HDMI.  Not sure if using componet takes care of the issue as my box is 15-20 feet from the TV and don't have a long enough cable to try.  It sure is annoying!  Never had the problem with {please keep your posts courteous}
Message Edited by KaLin on 04-28-2009 02:23 PM
0 Likes
hawkfan51

Forgot to mention, same Fios 7216 DVR via HDMI and box firmware 1.6.2.

0 Likes
papercutninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=9358

I think that this is the same issue you're having. Based on the suggestions from other members, switching to 720p on  theSTB output seems to have solved the issue. While the STB should be able to push a 1080i signal with no problem, we have no choice but to use 720p until VZN fixes the problem.

It's been almost a week since i switched to 720p, it hasn't done it once.