Local HD channel goes black
ericvq

For the past 2 years I have had the local NBC in Richmond VA (WWBT Channel 12 on FIOS 512) affiliate occasionaly go completely black.  When I switch to the SD channel (12 on FIOS) the SD signal is always there.  I go back and the HD channel is still black.  If I am not watching and DVR'ing something, I will have various periods of black on my recording.  It will go back on it's own after a period of time when I am not watching and will come right back if I am watching as long as I power off the HD DVR to reboot. This has happened despite 3 HD DVR upgrades (started with the moto 6416, continued with the 7216, and keeps happening on my current 7232).  Never had a problem on my SD boxes because it is an HD signal problem.  Use HDMI and tried switching to component and had the same problem.  2 different brand HD TV's (Samsung and Panasonic) with same result.  Had the tech over a few times (replaced ONT once, other times detected no signal problems or connection problems).  Don't know what else to check as Verizon seems out of ideas.  Really getting tired of coming home hoping to see a DVR'd NBC program and finding it be black when I push play.  Help!

0 Likes
Re: Local HD channel goes black
rustyjor
Same problem here
0 Likes
FrustratedUser22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have found that I need to repair the DVR every few months because the DVR becomes confused by some change Verizon has made behind the scenes or a glitch with the hard drive.   Press the Menu button on your remote and locate an option called something like "Fix Common STB/DVR Issues" located under Customer Support, Support Tools or Help Sections.   You will have to search for it since Verizon keeps moving this app around and renaming it.  I have no idea why.

When you run the app, it will scan your system and try to repair anything it finds wrong and then it will reboot your DVR (perhaps several times).  Just wait for the clock to appear again on the front panel.  It will take about 5 - 10 minutes.  This does fix many different types of issues.

0 Likes
sharonp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same problem with NBC WWBT in Richmond, VA.  Especially during the Olympics, when I scheduled recordings overnight, the recordings were all black and wouldn't play back.  I had blank thumbnails and could navigate to them but nothing was there and the playback lasted only a few seconds before it went back to the DVR screen for delete, resume play, etc.  I contacted the WWBT program director to find out if they were 'off the air' overnight and he said they were NOT.  I also asked him if NBC was restricting recording of the Olympics and he said he wasn't aware of any restrictions.  I couldn't even get the channel in the morning for the TODAY show--all blacked out, but it was showing on the SD channel (12).   I got Verizon to send a new STB, installed it and still had problems.

I came to this forum this morning to see if anyone else was having problems recording shows because overnight I tried to record on my local PBS channel (Eastenders at 11pm and 1130pm) and got black screen recordings.  This is the second time I had a problem with recording my local PBS, channel 523 on my FIOS in the last few weeks. I successfully record shows during the day with this STB, so having intermittent problems is annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this?  New STB Moto 7216 P2 hasn't helped.

Thanks, Sharon

0 Likes
mbf2

This was happening to me and others with NBC 504 in Los Angeles last year, and eventually the problem was resolved.  I know from forum postings that somone opened a ticket with Verizon, someone said it was a problem at a Verizon hub, and it was fixed by an engineer.  It was NOT something that could be resolved locally by DVR troubleshooting and rebooting.

0 Likes
ericvq

Yep, resetting the box through the fix STB/DVR issues (now under "customer support" option on the menu I believe), unplugging to reboot, or replacing the box will NOT permanently fix the issue.  It is on the Verizon end.  I am still experiencing the same issues though they lessened a bit during xmas and went up again when the IMG update was pushed in Jan.  I went out 3 times in the last week alone.  The engineers are supposedly still looking into it and I have been told I am not alone in my area.  I just call everytime it goes out to keep them appraised and use my pc or on demand to get the shows I missed if I can.  Last I heard they were supposed to be coming with a laptop to hook into my set up to monitor the signal but I heard that last month also and nobody has showed yet- lol. They don't know IMHO.  I am beyond frustrated and have been talking to Comcast for a better deal.  If anyone finds a long-term solution, pls let me know.

0 Likes
mimichic
Glad I found this. I was starting to think the problem was something I was doing. The only channel, so far, that does this is WWBT HD channel 512. Verizon keeps replacing DVRs, which I just got a new one 2 weeks ago. Last night, Constantine was a black screen on the TV and the recording, but I could get the SD channel fine. This is SO frustrating as they have no idea and just keep throwing DVRs at the problem.
0 Likes
eliznem

Same issue for me, same channel, Richmond VA - it's been happening for ages but more frequently in the last few weeks.  If anyone has been able to permanently resolve the issue, I'd love to hear how.  Otherwise, I'm going to keep pursuing and indicating that it's more than just me with the issue.

0 Likes