lose video during DVR playback and get a crackle from the TV that knocks me off the couch
Tomd514

This problem started shortly after receiving my current 7216 DVR sent to resolve other issues (see below). It is progressively getting worse. It appears to only happen when viewing programming that involved some type of recording (i.e.. hitting pause on the remote, recorded shows, etc). On-demand and "normal" broadcasts seem to be fine.

I believe the recorded information is not the issue because I can rewind the show and play the same portion again without the loss of video and the extremely loud 3 second audio crackle (I can equate it to having a thunderclap hit the TV).

I am posting this looking for other user experiences because I am reluctant to swap out the 7216 as Verizon Fios tech support would probably suggest because of my past DVR exchange experiences involving weeks and months to restore all the features and functions (i.e. multi-room dvr, remote programming, etc).

0 Likes
Re: lose video during DVR playback and get a crackle from the TV that knocks me off the couch
Tomd514

Update: After not receiving any replies to my user to user query about potential fixes to solve my FIOS 7216 video and audio issues I called Verizon Fios tech support and as predicted in my previous post, Verizon proved how insensitive they are to their customers as the following highlights should show. I am providing this as a hope that other subscribers may be saved some agrevation and perhaps someone in Verizon management might consider spending a little less in TV advertizing and a little more in tech support training and customer support.

- Called Fios Tech Support to report intermittent video drop out and loud audio crackle during DVR playback. The tech support rep check with her colleagues and felt the best recommended option was to replace the DVR. She submitted the drop ship order from the warehouse but before we disconnected she suggested that she send a signal to my DVR which would force a reload and I said go ahead. At that point we disconnected our conversation and after the load was complete (DVR users please note) the audio and video problems were still there but all my favorite channel settings were gone! This is a major flaw in the Fios DVR design where user settings like the channel favorites (which is a real pain to setup in the first place) don't get preserved across reloads and even worse yet is that the Fios tech support reps don't warn the end-user of the potential for loss of client side settings. Wouldn't it be a great idea if a user could leverage one of externalized STB ports (i.e. USB, eSATA) to at least save customized settings for the predicable need to restore them when a DVR is troubleshot or replaced (I'm up to my sixth DVR since April 2009 so it shouldn't be hard to guess how happy I am each time Fios tech support recommends a reset or replacement.

- The next day the replacement DVR arrived and I couldn't perform the swapout until the day after. When I opened the box I was surprised to find that the replacement for my QIP-7216 DVR was a QIP-6416 that looked like it was obviously a recycled unit (it has a streak of white paint on the side and some scratches). I called Fios tech support to inquire why I was given a differnent model DVR than my current model. The representative explained that tech support has no control over what gets shipped from the warehouse and that if he were to request another replacement that the chances would be high that another 6416 whould be sent as well. I asked what the differences were between my current DVR and the 6416 and he said the functionality was similar but the 6416 didn't have a RF out port and had a smaller hard drive than the 7216 (he later corrected the statement about the hard drive size but you can imagine my initial happiness when told that my replacement DVR was not as capable as the one it was to replace). (continued in next post)

0 Likes
Re: lose video during DVR playback and get a crackle from the TV that knocks me off the couch
Tomd514

Continued post:

- The Fios tech support rep initiated the activation of the replacement DVR and explained that the process would take up to 1/2 hour to complete and he suggested that we disconnect our call and that he would call me back then. I agreed but based upon my previous loss of functionality experiences after DVR replacements I asked about whether all the current features (Multi-room DVR, Video on Demand, Remote DVR programming) would be automatically enabled after the activiation. He checked his systems and reported that it didn't appear that my account was authorized for Multi-room DVR. I referred him to the littany of trouble tickets opened for my account describing all the effort it has taken to utilize these features. He suggested that we wait until after the activation completes to see what comes up then. Fully anticipating a long troubleshooting session after the next phone call we broke off.

- One half hour later, the Fios tech support rep called back (his number came across as "Unknown caller" on my caller ID and I was not going to answer (shouldn't Verizon ensure that their service organizations are identified correctly?). Upon testing the replacement DVR we found: Initially the DVR functions initiated from this STB didn't work (not sure what resolved this but ultimately it started working again on it's own), none of the other STBs that are part of the multi-room DVR network could see the primary DVR (they still showed the recorded programming from the previous DVR), and the feature to program the DVR from the web or from a mobile phone was still pointing to the previous DVR and thus weren't operational. The Fios tech support rep conferred with his help desk and after reloading the primary DVR, resetting the Actiontec router and my powercycling the non-DVR STBs we were able to get the multi-room DVR feature working (the collateral damage from these efforts I unfortunately found out later involved having to re-establish all the wireless network devices in my home after the Actiontec router reload). The remote DVR programming (web and cell phone based) were still not working but the rep said that these may take more time for the Fios servers to reflect the DVR change. He said if they didn't resume soon to call back.

- Later in the evening I tried to check the remote DVR programming feature and found that my mobile number wouldn't be accepted as it was already in use. I called tech support again and this rep tried to reset settings at the Verizon server for my account but after 1 hour, explained that she would have to open a ticket with the developers. This same scenario has occurred numerous times and I explained my frustration that once the problem goes to the non-customer facing support group I have never received a callback or email status on my issue. She offered to notate that I expect some status while the issue is being investigated but if history is accurate I will ultimately need to call back and spend additional hours on the phone to push my issue to resolution.  

For those Fios users who may be facing a DVR replacement I hope that my experiences prepare you to ask questions for any suggested maintenance action as many have the risk of incurring significant restoral efforts (time you can't be enjoying your "entertainment system").

0 Likes