Media manager and EXIF rotation data
aaronw
My parents have FiOS and I recently helped them setup the Media Manager software so that they can view their pictures on the TV.  It works great, except for images that have been taken with the camera rotated.  Most other applications (Picasa, Canon ZoomBrowser, etc) are able to read the EXIF and rotate the image accordingly.  What is Verizon's timeframe for implementing this fairly basic feature into Media Manager?  If it is there, I apologize, and please let me know where it is - I was unable to find it.
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Media manager and EXIF rotation data
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I don't use the Media Manager software anymore, but doesn't it have a manual rotating feature as one of the menu items?  I know it's kind of a pain, but I recall highlighting all of the photos I wanted to rotate Clockwise (or Counter-CW) and press the appropriate rotatation button.

Media Manager hasn't been updated for quite some time.  I have never heard of what features they plan to provide with the upcoming release, other than the streaming videos.  The auto-rotating would be nice, but who knows if they will implement it.  I have a feeling this next release is still several months away.

0 Likes
aaronw

When you say rotate the photos using media manager, I assume you mean the PC component?  I suppose I could do that,  but that's really annoying (like you said).  Also, the problem is that then I believe that wouldn't they show up rotated wrongly in all of the other software (zoombrowser, picasa, etc) that does support the exif data for 'this side up' ?

When you say you don't use it anymore, have you found another solution that can export photos to the Home Media DVR?  That's what my parents really want - the actual PC software, they'd prefer to use Picasa etc as that's what they're already used to. 

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I don't believe rotating the photos in MM would mess up other apps.  I would give it a shot and see what happens.

As for other solutions.... I now have an AppleTV and PS3 that will both stream photos (awesome slideshows!), movies, YouTube, Flickr.  Since I have these other devices now, I just don't have a need for Media Manager.  I know your parents probably don't have these devices, so that doesn't really help.  

0 Likes