media server and set top box
Scorp007
Enthusiast - Level 2

can you have both a set top box and media server (with 1 client) in a 3 tv house?

Or is it one of the other?  will the set top box still work if there is a media server on another tv?

0 Likes
Re: media server and set top box
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are rfering to the quantum hardware.

It requires you to have the media server to start.

That is because it ius the only box with tuners.

The ipcs slave off the VMS.

You can have up to 4 ipcs per VMS.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Scorp007
Enthusiast - Level 2

no. Actually, I am asking because I "upgraded" my service to a media server and clients to replace my old set top box and dvr. I wanted to be able to record programs on 2 tvs in my house.

However, after struggling with the setup because the instructions they send assume you have an HDMI connection. There were no instructions of how to transfer the connections from the old box to this new server, and there were connections on the old box that had no equivalent in the media server (RF TV Out). So I tried the other connection for older tv sets online... that didn't work. Then I tried hooking the media server to my son's tv which does have the HDMI - didn't want the server in there.. but hey, thought I would see if that worked. It got farther.. gave me a message saying I had an invalid router.

so I called verizon. 1st guy said, yes, I had an invalid router, and could I hold. well, I was on hold forever, and then got cut off.

So, I called again. got another guy that said it should work. Disconnected everything and all connecting boxes, he reactivated, so on and so forth.. same problem 30 minutes later. invalid router. He said he would send me another router. I asked to have the return date for all the equipment adjusted to 30 days from when I get the router, and Verizon said they couldn't do that! I asked why? since I couldn't set up the new service until I get the router.. and they said - basically - too bad, so sad, those are the rules. So much for trying to keep a LONGTIME customer happy.

I said, go ahead with the router, but if it doesn't work at plug in, I'm not going to bother wasting another day. I will send everything back (since I wiill probably only have a couple of days to do so anyway).

What I would like to know, if that happens, and I go back to the old box tops - which frankly is starting to look like a great solution at this point - can I just order another DVR in addition to the one I had before all this "upgrade", and record with that from 2 separate tv? with one DVR attached to each tv in different rooms? 2 DVRs, 2 TVs?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if you can go back now, but you could have just ordered a second DVR if that is what you wanted.

You have a few options:

1) Return the new hardware and then ask for a 2nd DVR.

2) What model Router do you have? Surprised they didn't pick up that fact. You need at least Rev I of the Actiontec rotuer.

3) With Quantum, you can "record" and watch from and STB. So even if the VMS is on your son's TV, you can still record and watch from the IPC on the other TV. This doesn't work if you want to keep the recordings segregated.

4) If your older TV only has RF in (no composite) and you want the VMS next to it, you would need to purchase a converter that would take composite and audio and convert to RF out.

Scorp007
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for your response.  I already had the router on the way, but bottom line, even though I can get the media server to work on my son's TV, he will be moving out soon.  And I cannot get it to work on my old tv, so, basically it is worthless to me.  And I don't feel like spending anymore time on the phone with people trying to guess what is wrong.

So, I am returning eveything and asking them to just send me another DVR.  They should have suggested this to begin with.  But then, I think they also should have known our router wouldn't work.

Really, Verizon needs the option to send out a technician to do a new setup.  this is changing everything - the router and the setup for all tvs.  They shouldn't expect customers to know all about connections and coax cables, etc., in order to upgrade or use their services.

But thanks again for your quick response.   

0 Likes