Mot 7200 vs QIP6416
Xourque
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello!

I tried searching for someone asking this same question but couldn't find it...unless I am very inept at searching tonight.

Anyhow, I have the QIP6416 HD DVR that I have been quite happy with. I know that most people I've convinced to get FiOS have ended up with the 7200 series HD DVR.

Which one is better? Should I care?

Thanks!

Tony

0 Likes
Re: Mot 7200 vs QIP6416
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The 7216 DVR is the newer model.  It has a faster processor, reportedly better SD quality, supports MPEG-4 (even though there is nothing sent in MPEG-4 at this time), and when Motorola and Verizon figure out how to make E-SATA work it will be supported for storage expansion.  Also, the 7216 meets the FCC requirement for separable security (it has a cable card).

At this time, the only real difference is the SD picture quality as the other capabilities are not currently supported.

0 Likes
mah__
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add one more bizarre difference

I had the 7216 DVR since I got FIOS last summer. I recently got a new Philips 42"LCD and began experiencing random intermittent periods when the 7216 would NOT respond to remote control requests. Verizon drop shipped a replacement DVR but it was a 6416.

Upon complaining that I wanted a like-for-like replacement (eg: a 7216) Verizon said that a technician would have to come install it, since they do not 'drop ship' the 7216. Well, the technician arrived replaced the original 7216 and the new one ALSO intermittently failed to respond properly. He then tried yet another 7216 and it too failed the same way --along with several new remote controls.

At some point the TV and the 7216 got 'out of sync' --that is the 7216 was on, and the TV was off. Voila, the 7216 responded to ALL remote commands. As soon as the TV was turned on the 7216 failed to respond. Turning off the TV once again resulted in the 7216 responding to remote commands.

ALL of the TV's auto-sensing options/functions were turned off, and at the suggestion of another Verizon tech (on the phone) the TV's brightness was turned way down. Still the 7216 failed to respond to remote commands as long as the TV was turned on --sort of obviates the need for any STB.

Replacing the 7216 with the 6416 (previously drop shipped) resolved the problem. The 6416 responds to remote commands EVEN WITH the TV turned on.

So far, Philips has not offered a resolution --but then without the 7216 I have no way to verify.

Message Edited by mah__ on 04-14-2009 07:46 AM
0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2
Is the SD picture quality that much better on the 7216 than the 6416, or better put is it worth me calling and telling Verizon I would like to replace my 6416s with 7216s?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@SteveP wrote:
Is the SD picture quality that much better on the 7216 than the 6416, or better put is it worth me calling and telling Verizon I would like to replace my 6416s with 7216s?

Since the 1.6.2 upgrade the PQ for SD on the 6416 is much improved.  Don't have a 7216 so I can't do a one for one comparison.

My personal opinion would be if it ain't broke don't fix it.  If you search the forum you will find other issues with both DVRs and I always believe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't Smiley Wink

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

I replaced a 6400 series DVR with a 7200 STB.  I have Tivos, so didn't need it.

Anyway, my 7200 STB shows the same problems you describe.  After a few IR commands, it seems ot stop accepting or responding for 20-30 seconds and the picture gets a bit jumpy.  When it 'settles down', it works again for a few keystrokes.

I was about to ask if I could get a 6200 replacement.

0 Likes