Re: Motorola QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantially Smaller) Feedback
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually I have seen Comcast boxes even smalled and they have no clock.

0 Likes
Re: Motorola QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantially Smaller) Feedback
DMZ

Comcast uses the same Motorola boxes as Verizon.  I probably should have worded my previous post as 'Motorola is looking to cut costs" at the expense of the consumer's convenience.  My 6416 DVR is more than likely the ONLY cable box in captivity that lacks an RF Out.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@DMZ wrote:

Comcast uses the same Motorola boxes as Verizon.  I probably should have worded my previous post as 'Motorola is looking to cut costs" at the expense of the consumer's convenience.  My 6416 DVR is more than likely the ONLY cable box in captivity that lacks an RF Out.

Keeping mind that the 6416 is an obsolete box and was the first DVR that Verizon delivered for FiOS TV almost 6 years ago now, I think any discussion about a coax output on the 6416 is really pointless.

I suspect the reasons Verizon chose to omit that option were that they expected people who got the 6416 DVR to 1) use an HD TV with it and thus use HDMI or component connections, or 2) use the S Video output to an SD TV (I believe nearly every TV built in the last 10 years at least has an S Video input). So there was really no perceived value in paying anything extra for a coax output (my guess is they did not expect people to want to connect SD TVs to the DVR from many feet away, which I believe is really the only reason for using a coax connection).

Of course the above is just my opinion....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantually Smaller) Feedback
DMZ
But they forgot to realize that people still had and still have VCR's, not to mention non-surround sound stereo systems. And in my case, an older HD TV that has a DVI input instead of an H.DMI which requires a DVI to HDMI converter cable AND a separate RCA cable connection for audio.

Discussions with Motorola engineers revealed that the RF Out exists on the motherboard. They just never installed the jack.

And if that's what Verizon thought
0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantually Smaller) Feedback
DMZ
....then why does EVERY other digital cable box before and since come equipped with RF OUT?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@DMZ wrote:
But they forgot to realize that people still had and still have VCR's, not to mention non-surround sound stereo systems. And in my case, an older HD TV that has a DVI input instead of an H.DMI which requires a DVI to HDMI converter cable AND a separate RCA cable connection for audio.

Discussions with Motorola engineers revealed that the RF Out exists on the motherboard. They just never installed the jack.

And if that's what Verizon thought

DMZ,

I really, really don't understand why you are beating this to death. The 6416 DVR was first delivered to FiOS TV customers in Sept. 2005! (and I am sure quite some time before that for their internal testers) That is when I got mine. Why keep after this? Nothing can change the fact that the 6416 does not have a coax output. OK, I get it that you think that was a mistake. But so what? It is a done deal, you can't change it, Verizon can't change it. Was it a mistake? In your view, I guess yes. In my view? Well, when I first got he 6416, I still had an SD TV, a Toshiba I had had for probably 6 or 7 years. And guess what? It had (has, I still have the TV on a different STB now) a component input, a composite input, and an S-Video input, all of which outputs were available on the 6416. And yes, I had a VCR, and guess what? It had S-Video input also. I had both the SD TV and the VCR attached to the 6416.

And yes, the 6416 did have the option to order the box with coax output. I had the Motorola Users Guide for the 6416 and most certainly it showed a coax output, with the statement in parentheses that this connection was an option.

And so what that your TV had a DVI input? There are HDMI to DVI cables available, and audio cables, have been all along.

OK, I have said my piece. I see you have on more post here on this  topic, I may respond separately to that, but beyond that, l am done, this is really pretty pointless. It is a done, done, done deal for 6 years, why keep beating on it?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@DMZ wrote:
....then why does EVERY other digital cable box before and since come equipped with RF OUT?

I don't know, why do they? And do they really all have coax out? I have no clue, and I don't care, it makes no difference when talking about the 6416 from Verizon.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantially Smaller) Feedback
DMZ

Justin, I'm not the one here beating this to death.  I merely mentioned it in the original post in this thread and you've let it propel you into orbit and keep you up at night.  All I've done was respond to your posts with FACTUAL information And BTW, I got FiOS TV 4 years ago while they were STILL giving out this model DVR box, not 6.

Have a nice day .....................

0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantially Smaller) Feedback
Justin46
Legend

@DMZ wrote:

Justin, I'm not the one here beating this to death.  I merely mentioned it in the original post in this thread and you've let it propel you into orbit and keep you up at night.  All I've done was respond to your posts with FACTUAL information And BTW, I got FiOS TV 4 years ago while they were STILL giving out this model DVR box, not 6.

Have a nice day .....................

And a nice day to you Smiley Very Happy .......but I assure you it is not keeping me up at night, I replaced my 5 1/2 year old 6416 with a 7232 earlier this year in prep for IMG 1.9A and am a happy camper, 1.9A works very well on my 7232, it would not have on the old 6416 based on what I have read (no HD guide, slow, no external hard drive, etc).....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
DMZ

FiOS tech support tells me they'll be upgrading my 6416 DVR (and 7100 P1 & P2) boxes to 1.9 'at some point' wherein I'll be able to plug in an external eSata drive.  But I'll believe it when I see it.  And as I said, I'd gladly upgrade to the new DVR if they could transfer over my existing recornings.  I wonder what the problem is with that.

0 Likes