MSNBC Problem
tjp1

Is anyone experiencing difficulty with MSNBC?...For the past week or so, MSNBC becomes unwatchable several times a day, with severe pixelation and loss of volume...Resetting the STB is the only thing that works...NO OTHER channels are affected....Everything else about my service is perfect (FIOS internet, phone, all other TV programming)...I also can't find any reference to this problem in the Forums or at the Vz support site...

Any assistance would be appreciated...

0 Likes
Re: MSNBC Problem
PJL
Master - Level 3

Check all coax cable connections from the ONT all the way to the STB (remove and reseat tightly).  What you describe is typical of a bad connection. 

0 Likes
fibertechguru
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think you should check your signal-to-noise ratio before calling Verizon for support, this will tell you if you have a low signal on that specific frequency or if its a problem from the VHO (i.e. Central Office). You signal to noise ratio (SNR) can be accessed for that specific channel by going to your diagnostics menu

1. While tuned in to channels, from the STBox press POWER
  2. Then, Press SELECT (OK)
  3. THen, Press SELECT (OK)
  4. You will see diagnostics window, scroll to Inband option and look for SNR frequencies

*Note, on the newer DVR (7216, 7232) we need to use the STBox and remote at same time since there are no MENU button on these boxes.

Read more about it on source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19899756-The-other-hidden-menu-in-your-STB-Diagnostic

0 Likes
tjp1

Thanks for the suggestions..It appears that tightening the coax connections did the trick!!

0 Likes
tjp1

An update...It turns out that tightening all coax connections did not fix the problem (the heavy pixelation episodes (only with MSNBC) returned two days later...Tried a new 7216 (same problem)...Eventually called for a tech visit...He swapped out my splitter...Still no luck...My basement TV is unaffected...Rebooting the STB clears the problem, sometimes for a few days, but it returns...The tech who visited said that if it isn't the splitter, it must be the (two years new) in-wall cabling to the upstairs STB (despite the fact that the cable worked flawlessly with Comcast for two years and for a month and a half with FIOS, and the signal when the channel is pixelating is 34 - 36db)...I have another tech coming on Friday (6/17) to actually test the cable...Does anyone have any ideas about what else could be causing this? ONT probs? Problems outside the house?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Thanks

0 Likes
WarRes

Not cable.. it's all boxes... 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes