Re: Multi-Room DVR Working Perfectly?
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1

I would love to test the CoAx throughput at the time of failure. The original post’s question: “5) When the nag comes up, does it also come up at the same time in another room?” speaks to this nicely, but only if throughput on individual cable runs is the issue. If throughput rates are poor at a splitter or some other CoAx issue upstream, the issue grows a little more complex to troubleshoot. If the MoCa rates fall low enough though this certainly could trigger it. We can sure try to help you guys escalate this issue, but we need to try to determine if the thing causing the loss of communication (or a loss of smart-recovery really it sounds like), is due to a throughput/buffering type of issue, or a MAC/IP address one (while less likely, address issues should not be completely ruled out in my opinion). Knowing the exact nature of the event that causes the failure will help us in repair to help the developers if we can.
Does the event last long enough to test another IP address dependent feature like VOD?

I’ll also ask question 6-b: Does this happen to anyone on any other box besides the 6200-2?

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

The issue is set to be fixed with the next build that was scheduled for the beginning of Jan or something like that. I still get the nag and when it does happen, it happens in every room at the same time. It does not happen when I am watching on demand. I am just waiting for this issue to be fixed. Before I upgraded to HD receivers in my rooms the nag never came up.

0 Likes
rayjc1

@G-Pon wrote:

...I’ll also ask question 6-b: Does this happen to anyone on any other box besides the 6200-2?

Not for me. My 6200 replaced a 2500 in same location (exact same wiring), and it never happened. I still have a 2500 in another room, & it never has the problem. I've had a 6416-1 & 6416-2 DVR, and this problem has never occurred while replaying on either DVR directly. Never had a 6200-1 or any 7xxx box so can't say anything about those.
 It's not wiring, & it's not a router issue. The problem does not coincide with IP renewals, by inspection of router logs. I recently had my old DLink replaced with a new ActionTec, & still have the problem. All my wiring & connections have been tested by Vz techs, in person, & are good.
It's a software problem, & I really hope they're working on it & fix it soon. As an engineer I know Intermittent problems are the hardest to troubleshoot; but this issue occurs when I'm viewing something with my non-engineer wife who has far less patience with technical glitches. Vz needs to setup a testbed somewhere & experience the problem for themselves, troubleshoot it, & fix it.
 It wouldn't be nearly as bad if Resume worked. When it kicks you out, you have to start over from the beginning. "Resume" rarely works right on MRDVR playbacks anyway, even when not having this issue. I hope they fix that too.
0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

"It wouldn't be nearly as bad if Resume worked. When it kicks you out, you have to start over from the beginning. "Resume" rarely works right on MRDVR playbacks anyway, even when not having this issue. I hope they fix that too."

That really is a huge part of why this nag is so annoying. It wouldn't be anywhere close to as annoying as it is now if you were able to start the program from where it cuts off. Problem is when trying to watch a two hour or three hour football game and it sends you back to the beginning.... well lets say you don't even want to watch tv anymore.

0 Likes
R_E_L
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any update on the fix to this issue. This is simply unusable especially with very long shows like movies and of course today NFL playoff games. Running FF is Not acceptable Not to mention it doesn't work. Few min passing the first snag, am running into another one this time the playback just switch to a random place on the recording.

BTW: I read this is HD recording being played on SD box .... Not sure. In my configuration its an HD recording with playback is on an HD STB on a second room.

0 Likes
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3
Apparently, this has been fixed with the new IMG.  However, there appear to still be problems with FF through a program, and that causing the recording to "stick".  Anybody who has the new IMG want to weigh in?
0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1
 I would love for the FF to be totally fixed. Sometimes when I FF from a set top receiver other than the DVR, when I press the play button to watch the program, it goes all the way back to the beginning. It is really very annoying. But the workaround that sometimes works for me is when I FF I don't FF at the max speed. I FF at the slowest speed and then usually it doesn't jump back to another part of the show. Bottom line for me is that the NAG is fixed. If they did fix it, this new update is well worth the wait.
0 Likes
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3
I use skip more than the FF - usually to get through commercials in a recorded program.  I don't recall having problems with the skip button, but I always get the "unable to locate HUB" error.  I agree, if that is in fact fixed, things are good.
0 Likes
zactastic

I too have experienced the "Unable to Locate Hub" nag, and I think I found a possible cause.

Bandwidth.

When it happened I was watching a show in HD. My fiance was uploading something over the wifi at a pretty decent clip, and thats when I got the nag...

So could the bandwidth (or lack thereof) be the issue?

Zac

0 Likes
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure it's bandwith.  I say that because I've gotten the nag while watching a SD recording on the HD STB, and nobody else is on the computer.  Also, we watch recordings in the basement (a SD STB) and have never received the error.  I think it has to be a software problem with the HD STB.

Now I'm seeing a post on dslreports from somebody who received the 1.6.1 update, and they are saying they are still getting the "unable to locate HUB" error, especially when FF or skipping.  What the hell, VZ??  It's been stated that 1.6.1 will fix this problem, yet it persists?  I'm beginning to regret my decision to leave Comcast.

0 Likes