My FIOS Wishlist
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know this has been done before, but I am new only had my service for 2 days.

I am from The Philadelphia Area, and I am switching from Dish Network (722vip DVR)

I Have a 7216-1 DVR, and a 7100 STB and a sd box with my extreame HD pkg with FIOS now

1. Expandable storage!!!! This is a must.  My Dish box had 50 hours of HD recording or 350 Hrs of SD.  I had a 750 GB HD plugged into the USB port which I had about an additional 150 hours on, and it wasn't even 1/2 full, and it worked great.  I had to pay a 1 time fee of 49.99 to activate it.

2. Revamp the Guide.  The guide is a bit cluttered, and there arn't enough functional configurations available to it.  It would be nice to change the order of your Favs, and to change the colors.

3. Caller ID, not super important, but it was nice.

4. More HD on Demand, or on demand all together.  The fact that i can't get FX, or Fox shows on demand stinks. The on demand was the primary reason i switched.  I really liked Dish Network, but I was getting raped by Comcast on my phone and Internet.  So I switched, knowing that I would loose a lot of record time, but I was getting the On demand.

5. RF remote capability would be nice so you can put your box in a cabinet, or other room.  This was a nice feature for my Dish DVR, that use to be pretty loud at night when it was updating, or Defraging.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My FIOS Wishlist
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That worked. I guess I had to set the SD Override to Off.

thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

1. been requested and as far as I know it is being considered for future upgrades

2. common complaint and the guide does get changed a couple times a year it seems. was pretty good to start with, got very bad, and has slowly been improving but has a long way to go

3. Its on its way. will be available with the next firmware upgrade  v 1.7  but you will have to subscribe to the new "Digtial voice". This is not available in all areas yet but it is comming

4. HD on demand is constantly growing. As for the content. this is a tricky situation, Verizon doesnt really control the on demand, they just host the content, but the content first has to be provided by the channels. If there is a bad content, verizon can contact the channel and have them re-upload it, and they can make requests for the channels to provide more content but it boils down to whether or not the channel is providing and uploading the content. Kind of backwards but thats how it works.

6.  I doubt verizon will be doing this. at this time they are refering customers to the aftermarket and universal remotes. But you can never tell, if enough people request it, who knows

0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh Yeah 1 more.

A quick way to change resolution.  The Dish DVR had a button to switch from "normal, Stretch, zoom, partial zoom, grey bar"

this was nice for SD channels that had the black bars. the partial zoom was sweet

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

forya1 wrote:

I know this has been done before, but I am new only had my service for 2 days.

I am from The Philadelphia Area, and I am switching from Dish Network (722vip DVR)

I Have a 7216-1 DVR, and a 7100 STB and a sd box with my extreame HD pkg with FIOS now

1. Expandable storage!!!! This is a must.  My Dish box had 50 hours of HD recording or 350 Hrs of SD.  I had a 750 GB HD plugged into the USB port which I had about an additional 150 hours on, and it wasn't even 1/2 full, and it worked great.  I had to pay a 1 time fee of 49.99 to activate it.

2. Revamp the Guide.  The guide is a bit cluttered, and there arn't enough functional configurations available to it.  It would be nice to change the order of your Favs, and to change the colors.

3. Caller ID, not super important, but it was nice.

4. More HD on Demand, or on demand all together.  The fact that i can't get FX, or Fox shows on demand stinks. The on demand was the primary reason i switched.  I really liked Dish Network, but I was getting raped by Comcast on my phone and Internet.  So I switched, knowing that I would loose a lot of record time, but I was getting the On demand.

5. RF remote capability would be nice so you can put your box in a cabinet, or other room.  This was a nice feature for my Dish DVR, that use to be pretty loud at night when it was updating, or Defraging.

1. Granted and I doubt there will be a fee when that happens sometime this year.

2. we are always making changes

3. Will be with Digital Voice and possible release 1.7 for on TV CID

4.  Working on that

5.  You got me on that one

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@forya1 wrote:

Oh Yeah 1 more.

A quick way to change resolution.  The Dish DVR had a button to switch from "normal, Stretch, zoom, partial zoom, grey bar"

this was nice for SD channels that had the black bars. the partial zoom was sweet

I have that. I can use the Aspect button (#) on the remote for both SD and HD channels to see them with three levels of zoom besides the normal view; the first zoom seems to cut each vertical bar in half on SD channels and HD channels showing 4:3 content. I am using HDMI to connect between my QIP6416 DVR and the TV, don't know if that makes a difference, and I have DVR set for 1080i 16:9 and SD Override is set to Off. I don't think any other setting would make any difference (if these do).

Give it a try, it may work for you.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That worked. I guess I had to set the SD Override to Off.

thanks

0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3
But..... It would be real nice for it to show what mode you are i  Dish used to show: Normal, Partial zoom, zoom, stretch, and Grey bar.  When you switched modes it would flash up on the screen, and when you hit info, it would let you know what mode you were in.  It's kind of tough to tell sometimes
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@forya1 wrote:
But..... It would be real nice for it to show what mode you are i  Dish used to show: Normal, Partial zoom, zoom, stretch, and Grey bar.  When you switched modes it would flash up on the screen, and when you hit info, it would let you know what mode you were in.  It's kind of tough to tell sometimes

Since I never use the function, I just found it while putting together the exploiting favorites thread, it doesn't matter to me Smiley Happy

But my guess is, based on the negative comments here and at other forums about Verizon newly putting up info banners, etc, when they make changes to the Guide, if Verizon did what you said there would be a big backlash saying how stupid and unnecessary that is, take it off yesterday, and on and on......but if enough people ask for it, maybe they will do it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Not much of an info banner, maybe when you hit info, guide, or changed a channel, it would put a little tag in that banner that was already displayed. That is what dish did, and it worked real nice.  It is hard to tell what mode you are in. Last night i caught my wife watching a 16.9 HD broadcast in zoom mode, and it looked bad.  She didn't even know she was in that mode
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@forya1 wrote:
Not much of an info banner, maybe when you hit info, guide, or changed a channel, it would put a little tag in that banner that was already displayed. That is what dish did, and it worked real nice.  It is hard to tell what mode you are in. Last night i caught my wife watching a 16.9 HD broadcast in zoom mode, and it looked bad.  She didn't even know she was in that mode

I don't doubt you found your wife viewing it without knowing she was (based mostly on my observations of my wife's powers of observation Smiley Very Happy ), but on my DVR (QIP6416), when I change the channel to another one, the zoom (or whatever setting I currently happen to have) is not on the new channel, and then if I go immediately back to the original zoomed channel the zoom is gone there too. Based on that, seems to me she must have hit the Aspect button herself, or she just watched the same channel that someone else had zoomed.

I do agree that Verizon could put an indicater in the Info banner and Guide that tells the viewer what the Aspect is set to. That would be a good addition in my opinion.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes