N. Texas - Local HD Stations Heavily Pixelated - All others work fine?
callonsteve

For the past few weeks, I have been unable to watch local HD stations "most" of the time.  Typically, there is heavy pixelation and the sound cuts out.  Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS on channels 504, 505, 508, and 511.  The non-HD channels on 4, 5, 8, and 11 work just fine as do all other HD channels.

I have 4 HD tuners and HD TV's.  2 tuners are DVR and 2 tuners are regular HD.  This is happening consistently across all of those systems.  Rebooting the DVR or Tuner by unplugging, waiting, and powering again has no effect on the pixelation.

Call to support tend to say "channels 4, 5, 8, and 11 our currently out in your area - expect service to be restored _____".  Typically the message says service will be restored sometime the next day.

This is beating me down.  Watching the primetime shows in non-HD is bad enough.  Now the super bowl will be in non-HD too?

Anyone else having these issues?  Any fixes?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
Re: N. Texas - Local HD Stations Heavily Pixelated - All others work fine?
Justin46
Legend

I think your problem must be somewhat local to your CO, or maybe your street or ONT. I have not had any problems with any of the local HD channels here in North Texas, period, for months (really never, in 3+ years). They are all crystal clear, solid pictures, no sound problems. Where in North Texas are you? And what support number are you calling, there is no way that answer can be remotely correct?

Keller, TX

0 Likes
Teasip
Enthusiast - Level 3
I've noted some audio/video drops here in N. Plano from time to time.  Enough last night where the wife asked if we could replace our HD-DVR.  Seems I'm seeing more frequent re-boots as well.  Since I'm having technical issues I wonder if there would be a truck roll charge for exchanging the HD-DVR for CC's were I to purchase a TiVo HD (issues of their own according to the forums)?  It is a legitimate problem but I could see their eyes roll back over the telephone line if I were to make such a request. 
0 Likes
ArtisticCheese
Enthusiast - Level 1
Yes, same here. Zip is 75007. For last couple of weeks can not watch some HD channels. Today in the morning for example NBC5 is totally out while Fox4 in HD was fine but it as upconverted SD signal, not sure if matters or not. I never had this issues before. There were no changes anywhere within a house for last couple of weeks. 
Message Edited by ArtisticCheese on 01-28-2009 12:50 PM
0 Likes
texastown
I just posted over at DSL reports as I have been seeing the same problem in Plano.  The sound will stop for a few seconds, then a line of pixelation will show on the screen, then it will return to normal.  Happens quite often and is annoying.  Our mighty FIOS is starting to slip. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

To repeat: In Keller, I am not seeing what you are seeing, on any local channel. Now, it is always possible that I am looking at the channels at different times than you are, but two of you at least are in or near Plano, while I am in Keller, on the other side of the Metroplex. I really think it is probably related to your CO, or at least somewhere after the signals leave our local VHO.

Have you called the FSC to report it (yeah, I know we all hate to call, but how else is it going to get fixed)?

Keller, TX

0 Likes
texastown
Justin,  My SD tv picture jumps off and on as well, using an SD FIOS box, and the pixelation occurs on our HD tvs, all of them, so I know it's some area problem, but calling always results in a "reboot" your box and/or unplug your tv, and "go away" response.  So I just wait till they are notified by others and fix things.  Calling service hurts my head too much, much more than a dancing SD tv and a little pixelation.  Verizon has achieved their desired goal, annoy us enuf when we call that we accept small problems and don't call them anymore unless it's completely out.
Message Edited by texastown on 01-28-2009 01:24 PM
0 Likes
ArtisticCheese
Enthusiast - Level 1
Exactly, I'd rather have root canal done then call Verizon. There shall be something more lightweight then calling, go through phone tree hell, then wait 30 minutes on hold and then go through mandataroy stupidness like rebooting DVR which we all did etc.
Message Edited by ArtisticCheese on 01-28-2009 01:36 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Texastown,

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do...but if everybody takes that same approach, then no one is going to report the problem, and it may never get fixed. I have had FiOS TV for over three years, my experience has certainly not been perfect, but it has been no where as bad as some folks. I don't know why, but some reasons might be:

1) When I have a problem, I do call. I may not get immediate satisfaction, but at least I have made Verizon aware of an issue, and I feel a little better.

2) I have never, ever, spent more than 15 minutes waiting to talk to an agent, whether it is tech support, billing, or ordering. Maybe it is just pot luck, maybe I just have a charming personality that they just can't wait to experience, but I am usually talking to an agent within 6-8 minutes, sometimes 30 seconds. One thing you can try: after the initial phone-monster interaction, try saying "agent", sometimes multiple times; that will usally get you to tech support pretty quickly.  

3) My experience with billing and ordering reps has been excellent. When I have called, they have fixed my problem, except for one time which was really a "system glitch" that they could not see or fix. Techman28 here on the forum fixed that problem for me - thanks one more time Techman28.

4) My experience with tech support has been mostly good, although there have been two bad experiences, one just a couple of weeks ago. I called about the local weather channel, the rep I got had some kind of attitude that I just could not fathom, and eventually he hung up on me. I waited about an hour to calm down, called again, got a different rep, reported the problem, and then asked for a supervisor, wound up with what I think was called an "escalation rep." I explained the situation, was able to give him the name of the guy that hung up on me; I hope I got him fired, or at least some serious counselling.

Anyway, based on what I have read so far in this thread, I really think it is somewhat local to you area in the Metroplex, and I hope at least someone calls the FSC to report it, otherwise I am afraid it is just going to fester. Hope it gets fixed soon for you! And sorry to be so wordy....

Keller, TX

0 Likes
texastown

Justin,  You are not wordy, you are a very helpful person, I have seen your posts before and you do a good job helping people.  The problem I have is that the glitches in my service are not constant nor horribly annoying.  The SD jump is on and off, so how can they isolate a random, occasional problem.  The audio drops and accompanying pixelation are also random, sometime frequent on FOX, and then not on other stations, etc.  So I know if I call, they will give me some brush off worthless info and "reset" my cable boxes from "their location".  Usually, over time they have a person reading these threads and someone recognizes a trend or frequent problem so they do something. 

So HELLO FIOS PEOPLE.....READ THIS THREAD AND FIX IT!!!!!!  And I thank you.

0 Likes