Need help recoding programs to my VCR
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
How come every time I try to record a program from my DVR to my VCR I  get  a black screen, I  have the QIP 7200 series DVR
0 Likes
Re: Need help recoding programs to my VCR
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
How are you connected from the DVR to the VCR?  You need to connect either the composite (yellow, red, white RCA jacks) or the S-Video (if supported on your VCR) with the red and white RCA for audio with the VCR set for LINE INPUT.  You can only record what you are actively watching with your DVR unless your VCR has a QAM tuner and then you could record the channels that are in clear QAM (local SD, local digital/HD, music, and PEG channels - no national channels like USA, ESPN, Sci-Fi, etc.).
0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
all I want to is record all of my WWE programs that I have stored on my DVR to to a VCR TAPE
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@KJH278 wrote:
all I want to is record all of my WWE programs that I have stored on my DVR to to a VCR TAPE

Using the steup I described in my first reply you should be able to transfer to a VCR without issue.  This is how I have mine hooked up and have transferred many recordings with no issues.

0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
The cables that you are talking about are they the Yellow,red and white cables  that have a plastic head,
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@KJH278 wrote:
The cables that you are talking about are they the Yellow,red and white cables  that have a plastic head,

Depends on the cable.  Some are plastic and some are metal.  If you look at the RCA jacks on the back of the DVR you will see an inner ring that matches the colors - yellow for video, red for audio right, and white for audio left - be sure to match them with the corresponding jacks on the VCR.

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

This should be totally doable as long as the program you have on your DVR isn't copy protected or something.

If you have your DVR(out) -> (in)VCR(out) -> (in)TV, you should be able to watch live TV if you have your VCR and TV set to the correct inputs.  If you can't see live TV, then your connections are not correct.

I've recorded stuff from my DVR and VOD to a DVD-R recorder doing the same thing.  HD content will automatically be downconverted to 480i (at least in my experience).  I used composite cables (Yellow/Red/White) for all devices.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@CSimpson wrote:

This should be totally doable as long as the program you have on your DVR isn't copy protected or something.

Copy protection for the digital data stored on a DVR does not exist for the low resolution video outputs - there are no Macrovision provisions in the STB and this is all that an analog VCR would recognize.  The only copy protection is by way of HDMI handshake (or broadcast flag for the IEEE-1394 / firewire) to prevent digital copying.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 04-23-2009 06:43 PM
0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
THanks for everyone's help I get everything hooked up  correctly eventually
0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
  I also have a another set of cables that came with my DVR they are metal and  they are red,green and blue, what do i  with them
Message Edited by KJH278 on 04-23-2009 07:21 PM
0 Likes