Need Recommendation of DVD/VHS Recorder Combo
Jimbo40
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I need any suggestions for a compatible dvd/vhs recorder/player with my Verizon FiOS cable and HD TV. The current one I have is a Samsung and is not compatible and I have to use a separate remote (plus it's broken). I'm trying to record all my VHS onto DVD so I can get rid of all my VHS tapes.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Need Recommendation of DVD/VHS Recorder Combo
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

"Most" dvd/vhs combo units will likely not be compatible. the codes for the verizon remotes are for DVD only or VCR only. Most of the combo units use special frequencies so they tend to play havoc with universal remotes.

Now this is only my opinion so take it for what its worth, but I think DVD/VCR combo units are a bad idea. I have personally tried this on several occasions, only to have the dvd or vcr portion fail leaving me with only half a unit working. meaning I would have to go out and buy another combo unit and replace the working half, or by a stand alone unit for the broken half. I went through probably 4 or 5 units before I got it through my head to just by a DVD player and a VCR separate and then if one fails I just replace the bad unit. 

And buying individual units means that the universal remotes will likely be compatible, without all the issues of the combos.

but thats just my opinion.

0 Likes
Jimbo40
Enthusiast - Level 2

How else would you suggest I  transfer all of my hundreds of VHS tapes over to DVD?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion however at some point I will choose just one option and not both but for right now I cannot agree with you.

0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Panasonic combo, purchaed ast Costco but think Target and other also sell it.  It works pretty well, but you need to reset it once in a while as the tuner freezes up.

It is one of the few out there that actually has a digital tuner, and a QAM compatible one at that.  It will grab all the clear channels,so you can record regular network shows without a dedicated converter box for the recorder.  I actually have a 3-way splitter on the line going to the main TV in our house, with one line each going to the DVD combo, the HD TV set (which also has a QAM tuner) and the HD set top box, and all three work just fine.

0 Likes