Need some help - only getting channel guide, no channel content
NBW2021

Installed a new TV at the parents today. They have FiOS triple play w/a Quantum WiFi router. The ONT, battery backup, TV One STB, and Quantum Router including all the coax, telephone, ethernet, fiber and power cables are all in the living room next to the TV and there was a giant rats nest of cables.

Me thinking I was doing a favor decided to unhook everything (except the fiber) and fix the cable management problem while I was installing the new flat screen (replacing an old Trinitron). I should have taken pictures of where everything was connected, but I didn't. How hard could it be to just plug everything back together I thought!

Well I got everything reconnected, and the Internet and phone services working, but realized it wasn't super clear where all the coax lines needed to go for the TV. The coax setup consists of:

1. A line coming in through the wall from the telephone pole on the street

2. A Verizon coax 3 way splitter

3. 3 coax short (3 ft) male/male cables

The ONT has a single coax connector. The Fios One STB has a single coax connector and finally the Quantum router has a single coax connector.

imagecurrent wiring setup

With the coax wired as pictured I get guide information on the TV but it says the channel is unavailable for all the channels. In the picture, the splitter has 3 connections - the white cable goes to the Quantum router, the black one next to the white one is coming from the pole/street, and the other black cable is connected to the STB. FWIW I tried swapping the position of the black cables on the splitter and that did not make a difference.

The original Trinitron TV was hooked up to the STB with AUX cables (red/white/yellow) because it didn't have HDMI. The new TV does have HDMI so I am using an HDMI cable to connect the STB w/the TV. However, that I wouldn't think shouldn't make a difference with the issue I'm having. I even swapped the AUX back in just to be sure and it didn't help.

Spent a long time on the phone with support and a lot of 'system reboots' but they just want to send out a tech - which during Covid my parents don't want. I still think the coax is miss connected so turning to the forum for some help.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need some help - only getting channel guide, no channel content
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NBW2021 wrote:

Installed a new TV at the parents today. They have FiOS triple play w/a Quantum WiFi router. The ONT, battery backup, TV One STB, and Quantum Router including all the coax, telephone, ethernet, fiber and power cables are all in the living room next to the TV and there was a giant rats nest of cables.

Me thinking I was doing a favor decided to unhook everything (except the fiber) and fix the cable management problem while I was installing the new flat screen (replacing an old Trinitron). I should have taken pictures of where everything was connected, but I didn't. How hard could it be to just plug everything back together I thought!

Well I got everything reconnected, and the Internet and phone services working, but realized it wasn't super clear where all the coax lines needed to go for the TV. The coax setup consists of:

The ONT has a single coax connector. The Fios One STB has a single coax connector and finally the Quantum router has a single coax connector.

With the coax wired as pictured I get guide information on the TV but it says the channel is unavailable for all the channels. In the picture, the splitter has 3 connections - the white cable goes to the Quantum router, the black one next to the white one is coming from the pole/street, and the other black cable is connected to the STB. FWIW I tried swapping the position of the black cables on the splitter and that did not make a difference.

The original Trinitron TV was hooked up to the STB with AUX cables (red/white/yellow) because it didn't have HDMI. The new TV does have HDMI so I am using an HDMI cable to connect the STB w/the TV. However, that I wouldn't think shouldn't make a difference with the issue I'm having. I even swapped the AUX back in just to be sure and it didn't help.

Spent a long time on the phone with support and a lot of 'system reboots' but they just want to send out a tech - which during Covid my parents don't want. I still think the coax is miss connected so turning to the forum for some help.

You should have optical cable from street going into the ONT. From the ONT you should have coax going to in of splitter. 1 out of splitter goes to TV the other to router. Cat 5 goes from ONT to router. Once all that is straight, if the splitter is good you power down the Fios box and router for 3 minutes. Power up router, once stabilized power up Fios box. That should do it.

Re: Need some help - only getting channel guide, no channel content
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@NBW2021 wrote:

You should have optical cable from street going into the ONT. From the ONT you should have coax going to in of splitter. 1 out of splitter goes to in of Fios box, the other to the in of the router. . Cat 5 goes from ONT to router. Once all that is straight, if the splitter is good you power down the Fios box and router for 3 minutes. Power up router, once stabilized power up Fios box. That should do it.

Should read: 1 out of splitter goes to in of Fios box, the other to the in of the router. sorry for any confusion. Basically looks like this: