netflix
vpc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Poor picture quality with brand new Samsung smart tv whie watching House of Cards via Netflix. Not noly not HIDEF but worse than non HIDEF. Picture is blurry.

0 Likes
Re: netflix
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a well known issue with Netflx on FiOS.  Google "Verizon Netflix" or search this forum for "Netflix."

Thanks.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Unfortunately the only fix is switching to another ISP.

TennisFreak
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there anything legally I can do?

Verizon is obviously throttling Netlix as the poor speeds exactly coincide with the February eliminiation of the net neutrality rules.  

For a while Netflix would constantly buffer now it at least plays but the picture quality is horrible. 

If Verizon ever thinks I'll sign up for more than their most basic FIOS plan with service like this they are delusional.

I wont be upgrading my FIOS, getting their TV service, or getting their phone service just to allow them to extort me for more money.

What happens when I get their FIOS TV service and they decide they want me to subscribe to more bandwidth and make my TV picture for everything go to crap?

There has to be something legally we can do.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

The Netflx streaming quality issues are discussed in other threads on the Verizon forums (Internet, e.g.), other forums and other news stories.  It has to do with how the Netflix ISP connects with Verizon and saturated links.  This issue impacts many ISPs, not just Verizon. Comcast, for example, had the same performance issues, but Netflix improved things by connecting directly into the Comcast network (and paying for the connection). 

You might try a web search for "Netflix streaming quality" and read about what's going on, or look for the other threads in the Verizon forums for more information. 

0 Likes
wavelet
If Verizon doesn't fix this I'm switching Back to comcast after my contract expires. Verizon, you'll will pay for this greed!
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@wavelet wrote:
If Verizon doesn't fix this I'm switching Back to comcast after my contract expires. Verizon, you'll will pay for this greed!

You might direct your comments to Netflix.  They are the ones that are using an ISP that has poor low-capacity connections to the Verizon network -- just like their ISP's connnections to many other ISP.

0 Likes
lbcjam
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get blurry AND dropped connection,... I haven't been able to watch a full episode of anything in a month!  I am drropping Verizon to solve!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You do realize that the only reason Comcast has better performance is that tehy were able to hold out to get Netflix to pay for upgraded direct connections.

As they have more subscribers, they were able to get it done faster.

But Verizon is not asking for anything more than Comcast was.

0 Likes
AHCE
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes