New case: Intermittent video dropouts, picture and pixel freezes
Marsy

This is an effort to start a NEW thread with same name.... as this problem has not yet been resolved and is an ongoing, expensive agony for many:  

I have an HDTV and STB QIP6200-2  (not a DVR).    Things had been working well for about a year.  Now, there are frequent freezings, drop-outs, pixel hangs, just as described in this forum.  The media guide and channel info is intact.  Sometimes a message to call an 'express' number with code 8801 appears (which has NOT been express to me.)  More recently (after just receiving and setting up a new STB, again a QIP 6200), a message came on the screen that said something like "your HDMI content output protection has been compromised.  Please use the ..PbYd (something like that) .. ouput".  This is a new bit of information.

I am wondering if after a couple of years of frequent use (well ventilated, out in open - but STB box still gets hot) that the contact between the STB box (or similar) and the expensive gold HDMI cable connectors wears down?  If so, instead of sending 'refurbished' STB boxes, Verizon might consider sending new HDMI cable connectors.  A new HDMI cable connector is not included in the box sent by Verizon when a 'new' STB box is sent... only the box, and a new power cord is sent.  Perhaps they just need to send out new HDMI connectors. 

(A bit of a disclaimer--- I am not a techie at all, just a frustrated Verizon viewer who has been sent all over the house by the phone techs to look at all the splitters, etc, and who is dismayed, after reading this forum, at the apparent lowly path that Verizon seems to be taking with this, which reminds me of the very lowly path that Comcast once took.... very poor customer service and declining product due to lack of investing in their own 'product'). 

Thanks for info, education, and input of others on this. 

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 08-22-2009 05:23 AM
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: New case: Intermittent video dropouts, picture and pixel freezes
Marsy

To update... I tried reversing the HDMI cable as the same head fits into the HDTV contact and into the STB box.  It worked for a minute, but then dropped again.  

Further inspection of the back of the port for the HDMI contact on the back of the STB box shows that the HDMI contact does not fit snuggly.  The port for the HDMI contact on the HDTV is a very snug fit.  

I wonder if this could be some of the problem,-- heating of the contact from the hot STB box (with hours of use) and some exposure to the air-- leading to wearing of the HDMI contacts on the STB box?

0 Likes
ethics
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with your well-expressed issues with Verizon.  Now 5 months since we switched to FIOS from Comcast, and the dropouts continue.  I have disconnected the router and QIP7216, then sequentially reconnected them to current, and the problem disappears for, at most, one day, usually less.  Where is the updated firmware that FIOS was supposed to install on our 7216s in August?  Will it be here by Aug. 31?  

Of course I agree that we should "keep the language clean," and I always do so.  However, perhaps Verizon should take note that many customers are extremely frustrated and have been waiting many months for some sort of reasoned explanation from Verizon, which - to my knowledge - has yet to be forthcoming.  Furthermore, Verizon is doing business in Massachusetts, and should take note of Ghapter 93A of the Massachusetts General Laws (Consumer Protection Act), of which it likely is in direct violation.  Perhaps the Verizon general counsel could provide a spur to corporate to be straight with customers, and possibly avoid a significant legal battle, should Verizon be, in fact, in violation of Ch. 93A.  Other states have similar legislation, and this may be an issue addressable via the judicial system nationwide.

0 Likes
ethical
Since I posted my observations earlier today as "ethics," my account has been blocked, mt user name and password refused.  Why?
0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi  ethics/eethical

I assure you, your account is in no way blocked.

There have been issues with sign ons for a while now. Verizon is working on a solution.

If you would like to add your name and details of what you encountered, there is a thread in the Feedback section, about not being able to sign in.

0 Likes
Molly2

I wanted to let people know that checking the co-axial cable connection can help.  It ends up that the wall connection was right behind a furniture piece, and the furniture had backed up against the connection and loosened it, even bent the connection.  

Today, a Fios tech came by and put a new one in, and the HDTV is working fine.  The problem for this situation was, indeed, a co-axial connection.. not a set-top box.

Good luck, all. 

0 Likes
rick42_98

I too am experiencing video dropouts.  The audio does not drop out.  I get multiple video dropouts per hour, sometimes one right after another.  Can you please tell me how to fix this as it seriously interferes with viewing?

0 Likes