New Channel Guide is Even Smaller Than Before
tomfulks

We have two TVs connected to Verizon FiOS. One TV is on a DVR and the other is simply on a set-top box. The TV on the set-top box has a channel guide that shows seven channels over 2 1/2 hours in full HD (9x16) format. It has always been superior and doesn't seem to have changed with the Feb. 4 update. The channel guide on the TV with the DVR used to show only six channels over 1/12 hours in old 3x4 format. The Feb. 4 upgrade made it even worse, now it only shows five channels over 1/12 hours in 3x4 format. All we want is for the channel guide at the DVR to be as good as the one with the set-top box. I tried and tried to change settings on the TV and DVR but cannot fix it. I phoned Verizon technical support and was told that our Motorola DVR simply cannot accommodate the guide that our Motorola set-top box does. He added that the service in our area cannot change to Cisco or other DVRs that might support better guides. We should not pay the premium for a DVR when it has a poorer channel guide than a set-top box. It is hard to understand why Motorola would produce a better set-top box than DVR, if the set-top box and DVR are really the culprits.

We like to view at least six channels at a time so we can see all the broadcast channels in our area at a time; we like to view more than 1 1/2 hours at a time so we can see later times without shifting so much; and we prefer to have a full 9x16 HD guide when we are paying for HD service. 

We were told that our Motorola DVR cannot support a channel guide that shows seven channels over 2 1/2 hours in full HD format, like our Motorola set-top box does. Is this correct? What can we do about it?

Do other regions have better guides with their DVRs? Why?

If you can provide us with an effective solution, we would be appreciative. If not, then please submit this as a complaint to your closed-loop corrective and preventive action system and notify us accordingly by email. 

Thanks, Tom {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: New Channel Guide is Even Smaller Than Before
PJL
Master - Level 3
0 Likes
tomfulks

Referenced replies refer to difficulties recording certain programs, and do not pertain to channel guide limitations. Only Verizon can explain, but other users could agree with, or refute my question.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I just checked my STBs.

I have a 7100P2 HD STB and a 7232 HD DVR.

Both show 7X2.5 hours.

What model DVR do you have.

The 6416 does not support a HD guide and will show less channels that a 72XX series DVR.

0 Likes