Re: New DVR, Can't Recognize Existing ESata Drive/Programs
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me get this straight: the 200+ hours of HD/SD programming I have recorded on the DVR/Sata drives over 3+ years will be lost because a VZ DVR  - for which I am paying 16.99 per month - craps out? I could understand the DVR data being unrecoverable ... but why must the content on my Sata drive be forfeit? ... and forfeit directly because of VZ's failure! And then VZ has no fallback plan for me?

This is not an acceptable level of service.

0 Likes
BevMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a QIP7232-2 DVR.  It has firmware 1.9.4.

I purchased an eSata enclosure - 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145406&CatId=2780

and a WD 3TB HD:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7664375&CatId=8

I followed all the instructions here and still can not get it to detect my drive.  I did a quick format (exFat) from windows and my PC can see the entire 3TB drive via the USB cable included with the enclosure, but nothing with the eSata cable.  

When I plug the drive in to the DVR with the eSata cable, I do get prompted to accept or reject the connection, but nothing happens if I accept it. 

I am thinking it could be the eSata cable that came with the enclosure.  I'm also trying to fully format the 3TB space rather then doing a quick format, that that will take a day or so.

Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

0 Likes
kenscs

I spent MANY hours with Verizon Phone tech on getting my brand new WD MyBook 1T drive to be recognized by the Motorola QIP 7232 2 DVR box.  In short, the phone tech people sent two new boxes, multiple reboots etc, but no luck.  Finally, after seeing thread and other forum posts, I reformatted on a PC Win 7 PC using exFAT, and first try, WORKS!

So, for all having this isssue, if the reboot, etc does not work, I would try the reformat first.  It worked instantly and only took about a minute to hook it up via USB to my Windows 7 machine, format the drive, and then hook to the cable box via eSATA again.  

I have heard that formatting using a Mac will not work, but I did not try it.  

0 Likes
sportsphotog

I have a Western Digital 1TB MY BOOK DVR EXPANDER 7200K with only an eSata connection, no USB. How do I hook it up to my laptop to format it?

Just to provide background. I'm having the same experinces as others. Had to turn in my old defective DVR unit, not sure, to be honest, if I unhooked the extended drive properly. Either way, when I installed the DVR replacement drive, could not get it to recognize the external drive. Have tried all the steps, so now I want to attempt the one I haven't tried, reformatting thedrive. NOt sure how.

0 Likes
mikesinclair
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry - I'm a late poster and new member. I too had problems getting my Motorola 7216 QIP DVR to recognize my new eSATA drive . Searching on this and other forums, I decided to buy a 2TB USB/eSata Gforce 3 drive by Fantom Drives. Following the instructions included with the drive (un-power both DRV and drive, connect eSata cable to both, power on the Drive and DVR. I followed the instructions under settings on the DVR, it went through a few reboots with no luck at acknowledging I had an external drive. On this forum elsewhere (I can't find it now unfortunately) I saw someone point out that you shouldn't power the eSata drive until you saw (something like) Click to Activate. Then you turn on your drive  and continue as instructed. This worked!! I saw after the reboot that it asked if I wanted to format the new drive which I did. After another reboot, it showed the external drive.     Good luck!

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes