New FIOS user question with Favorites
whalene

Just set up new FIOS service. If i setup favorites, can i use it to filter the channels or does it only apply to the program guide?

For example, if i have channels 513 and 515 listed as favorites, currently if i am watching channel 513 and press channel up, it will go to channel 514 instead of skipping that channel and going to 515.  Also, i have a Motorola QIP-6416-2 and wanted to know if they have dual live buffers. The manual online mentions pressing the swap button but i can not locate that button on the remote.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS user question with Favorites
Justin46
Legend

The favorites function offers you several options on how you can set it up; here is a link to a thread I wrote with a document detailing the options, maybe it will help.

The button on my remote that will swap tuners is labeled "Last."

Keller, TX

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Justin wrote:

The favorites function offers you several options on how you can set it up; here is a link to a thread I wrote with a document detailing the options, maybe it will help.

The button on my remote that will swap tuners is labeled "Last."

Hey Justin - Your guide looks pretty informative.  I've just printed out a copy so I can take it in front of my TV and experiment with it!  I do have one question though that a quick glance through the info didn't seem to address:  When you use the Guide button, you can enter a channel number and switch to that channel.  When you use the Favorites button, this feature is no longer opperable.  Any way to add that back to the Favorites button features?  Or will setting up the remote to have the Guide button show one of your Favorites listings enable you to do this?

Thanks for the guide and any info on the above.

And Happy New Year! 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@speedo123 wrote:

Hey Justin - Your guide looks pretty informative.  I've just printed out a copy so I can take it in front of my TV and experiment with it!  I do have one question though that a quick glance through the info didn't seem to address:  When you use the Guide button, you can enter a channel number and switch to that channel.  When you use the Favorites button, this feature is no longer opperable.  Any way to add that back to the Favorites button features?  Or will setting up the remote to have the Guide button show one of your Favorites listings enable you to do this?

Thanks for the guide and any info on the above.

And Happy New Year! 

First, a Happy New Year to you! Second, thanks for the kind comments. And third, being able to easily print it out and carry it somewhere was one of the reasons why I put it into a PDF, originally I was going to just post it as the actual thread. Plus I can update/replace a PDF any time and not change the thread at all.

I am not sure what you are saying doesn't work. If I am looking at the Favorites Guide listing, yes I can enter a channel number (1 to 4 digits), it just has to be one of the channels that is in that Favorites. You are correct, if you are referring to entering a channel number that is not in the favorite you are viewing. But if you set up the buttons the way I do, with the actual Favorites button just selecting what the Guide button will display (Favorite1, Favorite2, or the full Guide), and lets say you have it set to display Favortie1, then if you want to go to a channel not in the current favorite, just hit the Favorites button until the display is for the full Guide, and then you can enter any channel you want.

The above is very hard for me to explain for some reason, the best thing to do is write down the settings you have now, go set it up the way I suggested, and play with it. If it turns out you don't like what I like, then you can always set it back the way it was. 

Obviously, if you or anyone else can't figure out what I wrote, I need to change it, so please do let me know what is not clear, missing, or is incorrect. Thanks!

Keller, TX

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the quick response Justin.  The problem I had was that the Guide Button vs. the Favorites button (Heart) didn't operate the same.  You could be on a Channel (say 10) and enter another Channel (say 180) while in the Guide and the set would change to it.  When I tried this in the Favorites guide (accessed by pressing the Heart Button) and was on Channel 10, nothing would happen when I tried to enter 180 (both of which were in the Favorites listing).  I would have to scroll down to get to 180.  I hadn't tried using this channel entry feature with the Favorites listing in awhile as it didn't work for me.  After reading your response, I tried it again and low and behold - it worked!  I'm amazed!!!  FYI though, I had a problem with both of my DVRs having stopped doing any recording, manual or auto series, a few days ago.  When I called tech support, they reset both DVRs and fixed the no record problem.  I'm wondering if this reset also corrected the Favorites problem.  Guess I'll never know.  But in any case, it's great to have that feature back!  (I had it with my DirecTV equipment.)

Thanks again,

Pat

Message Edited by speedo123 on 01-02-2009 03:49 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Pat,

Glad you got that function back! I have no idea why it was missing, but my guess is that the reset did fix the favorites issue too. Computers can do mysterious things at times....worked in the technical support side for 37 years, have seen lots of amazing and inexplicable things happen....

Keller, TX

0 Likes