New HD STB/DVR stops access to most channels
PaulVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Upgraded HD STB / DVR to Motorola QIP 7232 2 in late November. Paid $40 for the privilege.

SInce then, when I watch any of the channels beyond "basic":

1) every 30 minutes, exactly on hour (xx:00) and half hour (xx:30) I get an on screen notice that I am not subscribed to that channel. Notice disappears after 5 seconds.

2) Then, after a time (varies) the screen freezes, then goes blank, then displays a notice that I am not subscribed to that channel.

Resetting STB works. Eventually. Sometimes requires multiple resets. But problem reappears at the next hour or half hour.

Multiple calls to tech support are unfruitful. Most agents are totally clueless. I am told to reset the box. Which, of course, solves nothing in the long term.

One agent suspected my main splitter was the problem. Causing poor signal to box. A tech was dispatched. (Finally! after multiple calls!) Tech was very good. Measured signal and recognized splitter needed replacement. Signal was much better.

But the problem did not go away. Still the notice every 30 minutes. Still the freeze, blanking and notice that I was not subscribed to the channels for which I have paid monthly for over a year!

Technician called to see if problem fixed. (Good customer service!) I said no and he agreed to replace the STB/DVR. Said he would come today.

No technician arrived. No new STB/DVR. No answer when I call direct line. No repair order listed.

Would Verizon please just fix the defective equipment they sent me. If I sent a bad check, they would want me to fix it immediately. Cannot they do the same for me. Please just fix your equipment and service for which I pay!

BTW, the Verizon support phone system is awful. The web site is not much better. Most of the technical agents are not sufficiently competent. So far I have found only 2 agents who know anything beyond what's in my user guide.

I am trying to be nice here. I'd hate to have to say the service stinks before I get any response.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New HD STB/DVR stops access to most channels
PaulVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, it is fixed now. Finally. Thank you. But ...

After waiting fruitlessly all afternoon 12/29 for the tech to arrive, I received a call on 12/30/11. Because of the holiday crush and short staff, they ignored me on 12/29 but scheduled me for ... New Years Day! Because New Year Day was a Sunday, I asked for an afternoon visit so I could go to Church Sunday morning. The tech said yes, for Sunday afternoon.

At 8:20 AM on Sunday, New Years Day, the new tech called and said he would be at my house in 10 minutes. Good thing New Years Eve was quiet!

New tech redid the tests from prior tech and discovered that the signal from the "street" was way too low. (Why didn't first tech discover this? The first tech did the signal strength test on that connection but said the signal was OK.) Fix was replacing a video port on the FiOS interface box outside my house. He also replaced the DVR.

But, he couldn't get it activated without a help call to tech support. It seems the ticket was logged as a Voice Ticket which made the activation more complicated. After some back-and-forth, the new DVR STB was activated. Thge ticket was closed. And it worked all afternoon Sunday.

Then today, another tech called to make an appointment to come out and replace my DVR. For the "closed" ticket. Hmmm. Left hand doesn't tell the right hand.

Summary. Verizon's tech support leaves much to be desired. Phone serice is awful. Most phone agents don't know what to do. Their advice is unhelpful.

Ticket / scheduling system isn't very good either. My problem was simple, but multiple errors were made in the ticket / schedule process. I had several tickets, multiple calls, multiple visits. Too expensive support processes.

In-person techs seemed nice -- but the first one didn't find the real problem. Supposedly doing the same tests as the latter tech did.

I have little confidence in Verizon's competence to support their own equipment.

Fortunately for Verizon, Cox Cable support is poor also. Hopefully, Verizon can improve suuport processes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I see that the tech was out and called in for assistance replacing the box. How is the new box working? Are you still getting the same errors?

0 Likes
PaulVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, it is fixed now. Finally. Thank you. But ...

After waiting fruitlessly all afternoon 12/29 for the tech to arrive, I received a call on 12/30/11. Because of the holiday crush and short staff, they ignored me on 12/29 but scheduled me for ... New Years Day! Because New Year Day was a Sunday, I asked for an afternoon visit so I could go to Church Sunday morning. The tech said yes, for Sunday afternoon.

At 8:20 AM on Sunday, New Years Day, the new tech called and said he would be at my house in 10 minutes. Good thing New Years Eve was quiet!

New tech redid the tests from prior tech and discovered that the signal from the "street" was way too low. (Why didn't first tech discover this? The first tech did the signal strength test on that connection but said the signal was OK.) Fix was replacing a video port on the FiOS interface box outside my house. He also replaced the DVR.

But, he couldn't get it activated without a help call to tech support. It seems the ticket was logged as a Voice Ticket which made the activation more complicated. After some back-and-forth, the new DVR STB was activated. Thge ticket was closed. And it worked all afternoon Sunday.

Then today, another tech called to make an appointment to come out and replace my DVR. For the "closed" ticket. Hmmm. Left hand doesn't tell the right hand.

Summary. Verizon's tech support leaves much to be desired. Phone serice is awful. Most phone agents don't know what to do. Their advice is unhelpful.

Ticket / scheduling system isn't very good either. My problem was simple, but multiple errors were made in the ticket / schedule process. I had several tickets, multiple calls, multiple visits. Too expensive support processes.

In-person techs seemed nice -- but the first one didn't find the real problem. Supposedly doing the same tests as the latter tech did.

I have little confidence in Verizon's competence to support their own equipment.

Fortunately for Verizon, Cox Cable support is poor also. Hopefully, Verizon can improve suuport processes.

0 Likes