New User - HDMI Handshake Issue
Chasmcg

First I want to say I have Comcast Cable and FiOS on 2 different channels, and I'm sitting here watching the NBA finals and the picture is MUCH better using FiOS!

I have:

Release 1.62 Build 08.58

Platform QIP-71216 P1

I have a Sharp Aquos 52" 120Hz that is about 6 months old.  From what I can tell I'm suffering from the HDMI handshake issue. 

From the research I've done, this seems to be a common issue and seems to happening to a lot of people.  I frankly find this issue unacceptable for my viewing experience.  I seem to have to cycle through the HDMI ports about 3 or 4 times an hour. 

I just bought a Terk HDMI-31 Smart HDMI Switch just to see if putting something in the middle may help. 

Does anyone have any suggestions before I cancel this great service?  I'm just not willing to "fight" a TV provider to watch it.  It makes it worthless to me. 

0 Likes
Re: New User - HDMI Handshake Issue
nycrdc
Contributor - Level 1

I found a post that has a similar problem to your. The tech on that post gives a couple of fixes for it

Check the post out here:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=5776

0 Likes
bradentongal

We've been having HDCP failures since late last year just about every time we attempt to watch tv.  The failure would occur anytime from 2 minutes to one hour into viewing.  Tried swapping out the box for another, and same problem. We bit the bullet and swapped out our expensive HDMI cables for component cables.  What a disappointment!  Now our HD channels are viewed in letter box versus the full screen crystal clear display we had with HDMI cables.  When is Verizon going to fix this issue they seemed to cause when they pushed out an upgrade sometime late yast year?  We had no problems for a year until a certain update late last fall.  This is unacceptable!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@bradentongal wrote:

... We bit the bullet and swapped out our expensive HDMI cables for component cables.  What a disappointment!  Now our HD channels are viewed in letter box versus the full screen crystal clear display we had with HDMI cables. 

Not sure why you are getting letterbox.  You should be able to get full 1080i with component (red / green / blue RCA video jacks).  You should only be getting letterbox if you are using composite (yellow RCA video jack or S-Video).  At least that's the way my Sharp 52" works when I tried component because of an issue with the older (pre 1.6.2) IMG (the notorious "green line" problem).  Fortunately, I have never had the HDMI handshake issue.

0 Likes