Newly installed multi-DVR not working in other rooms
spotlessmind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech installed FiOS one week ago - one DVR and three STBs in other rooms. We subscribed to the multi-DVR plan. He was in a big hurry and didn't want to double-check things or show us how to do anything -- just kept saying "Go to channel 131."

Anyway, I've recorded several things on the DVR now. The STBs show the recording titles, but when I highlight them and press OK to start playback, it doesn't work. The screen exits back to whatever was already in progress.

What now? Shouldn't this stuff have been provisioned/enabled by the technician, since it is clearly marked on our work order?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Newly installed multi-DVR not working in other rooms
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

Hello,

Try confirming the following:

1) that you have a Multi-Room DVR on the account and not just a single room DVR. 

If you can see the list of recordings on the other STBs, though, then more than likely you do have the Home Media DVR feature.

2) that if you recorded from high-definition channel that the other STBs are HD-capable. If you have a Motorola set of STBs, the Motorola 2500 series cannot view High Definition recordings; they have to be recorded in standard definition.  You can only view HD recordings on HD STBs.

3) lastly, try the autocorrection technique for the MRDVR (if the above two are confirmed OK) via the remote.

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Autofix MRDVR Issues

or DVR -- Autofix MRDVR Issues

There are two other troubleshooting steps you can try as well on the STBs (try on one first and see if it resolves the issue):

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Reboot STB

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Set Top Box Auto-Correction

4) If all else fails, contact Verizon's Technical Support at 1-888-553-1555.

Also, if you have questions on your account or need to switch out equipment and there is a Verizon FiOS store in your area, then they can help you. You can give them a call; contacting the VZ FiOS store might be less time consuming than calling the 800 number for Customer Service.  For technical-related matters, though, they'll connect you right through to Technical Support.

Here is a list of Verizon FiOS stores:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's actually programmed from the office. It's an on/off feature like voicemail.  They don't have to send a tech do voicemail, and similiarly they don't have to do that for the DVR.   Try the DVR Troubleshooter.  So click your DVR button and at the bottom there is a troubleshooter.  

see if that fixes it, if it doesn't then reach out to the live chat via their contact us button at the bottom of the page, and they can probably fix it.

spotlessmind
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll give that a try -- but I still have to wonder why it wasn't set up the way it was supposed to be from the start. Shouldn't the tech guy have called in to have it activated? He certainly didn't tell me that I would have to do it myself later.

Thanks for the advice...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's not normal that it isn't working after the installation, it's also not normal that you have to do it yourself after an installation. I don't think it's normal that he was so rushed that he couldn't give you a mini tour, or answer your questions.  My guy was really good, professional, and approachable.   BUT having said that, if you want to get it working, then those are some of the things you can do.  Maybe they didn't turn it on from the head end.  IF that were the case, you wouldn't be able to press dvr from your satellite locations.   If you can see the DVR option but it's not populating information, then you might just have a communication problem.  Normally rebooting the router first and then the set top boxes will fix that, also the menu system has the auto fix I described.   But short of that you'll want to do the click to chat, or call in.

FWIW, I Don't know what to tell you about the installer, but I think you deserved a little better.  

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

Hello,

Try confirming the following:

1) that you have a Multi-Room DVR on the account and not just a single room DVR. 

If you can see the list of recordings on the other STBs, though, then more than likely you do have the Home Media DVR feature.

2) that if you recorded from high-definition channel that the other STBs are HD-capable. If you have a Motorola set of STBs, the Motorola 2500 series cannot view High Definition recordings; they have to be recorded in standard definition.  You can only view HD recordings on HD STBs.

3) lastly, try the autocorrection technique for the MRDVR (if the above two are confirmed OK) via the remote.

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Autofix MRDVR Issues

or DVR -- Autofix MRDVR Issues

There are two other troubleshooting steps you can try as well on the STBs (try on one first and see if it resolves the issue):

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Reboot STB

Menu -- Customer Support -- In Home Agent -- Set Top Box Auto-Correction

4) If all else fails, contact Verizon's Technical Support at 1-888-553-1555.

Also, if you have questions on your account or need to switch out equipment and there is a Verizon FiOS store in your area, then they can help you. You can give them a call; contacting the VZ FiOS store might be less time consuming than calling the 800 number for Customer Service.  For technical-related matters, though, they'll connect you right through to Technical Support.

Here is a list of Verizon FiOS stores:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

Re: Newly installed multi-DVR not working in other rooms - fixed but new issue!
spotlessmind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using the suggestions on the troubleshooting menu, I was able to get the multiroom DVR set up working. Thanks so much!!!

However, since I did that this afternoon, the main TV with the DVR is "hiccuping" every few minutes!

The screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then I get a box on the top left corner:

HDMI1/DVI         No time information

How do I get this to stop? No matter what channel I view, it happens regularly. If I back up and re-play the "hiccup" it isn't there as part of the data stream. It seems to be a part of the output.

0 Likes
Pstreicher11
Enthusiast - Level 3

This sounds to me like the DVI cable needs to be reseated. Try unplugging one end or both and plugging them back in. I've had trouble before where I would not get anything but a black screen before and this solved the problem. Since you posted back on 12-02-2012 you have probably figured this one out by now.

Here's a question: I'm thinking of getting the MDVR. I want to replace the office standard STB with one. My question is, can you record to the MDVR from any of the other rooms or do you have to record from the MDVR? The wife likes to record her shows in the master bedroom and we've discussed wanting to upgrade to a newer STB to be able to add more storage via an external hard drive. My goal is to have the MDVR in the office outfitted with the external hard drive and eventually retire the STB in the master bedroom once she finishes with all her current recordings on it. Then, I would move the MDVR into the master bedroom and get a HD STB for the office. What do you think? Is this a good plan and could someone answer that question I posted at first too?

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

To Pstreicher1:

With IMG 1.9,

if you have a Multi-Room DVR, you can set-up recordings from any of the other set-top boxes (standard or HD) on the DVR.

The only set top box the MRDVR cannot communicate or share content with is a digital adapter.

Also, with the MRDVR feature, if you have more than 1 DVR at home, the functionality is extended to a multi-hub DVR and you can name each of your DVRs (the DVRs can talk to one another) to access the recordings from that individual DVR.  You can also protect recordings from the main DVR so that the recording(s) cannot be deleted from other DVRs. 

The lay-out for the STBs and DVRs at home is specific to each household.

If you already have a good working DVR in the master bedroom, I am not certain why you need to have it replaced, unless it's an older model DVR (Motorola 6416).

Upgrading to the MRDVR requires just a software change for the same day when you call to place an order for it.

Moreover, the DVR models that are expandable via an eSATA external storage device are the Motorola 7216, Motorola 7232 and Cisco 435.

If you connect an eSATA device to the DVR, the recorded programs will be saved to the external device first and then to the DVR after the external drive becomes full. Once the external device is connected, the recordings on the eSATA will only be recognized in the same DVR and cannot be moved to another DVR.

Like I said, the TV setup at home is based on customer preference.  Some things to consider, though:

1) some folks who tend to record alot would likely have more than 1 DVR at home with eSATA drives on each DVR with the MRDVR.

2) the folks who have many TVs and lean towards saving money will opt for 1 MRDVR and the rest are all HD STBs.  There are bundled savings with the FiOS TV equipment package where with an MRDVR and the more HD STBs you add to the account, the cheaper each one gets.

3) recorded episodes of mainstream shows on many FiOS TV channels are available for viewing after 2-3 days ON DEMAND.  This saves recording space on the DVR, especially if one does not need to watch them on the same day they are recorded.

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes