NIM100 - SBV5120
CableSucks

Hi all.....FIOS installed today and I want to know if I can use a Motorola SBV5120 in place of a NIM100 to get ethernet access at a location where I have coax?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NIM100 - SBV5120
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi,   you can't use a cable modem to do what you want to do.  different technology, cable modems use DOCSIS and FiOS uses MOCA technology

you'll need one of the following.

a motorola NIM100

a Actiontec HME2200

or an actiontec ecb2200

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi,   you can't use a cable modem to do what you want to do.  different technology, cable modems use DOCSIS and FiOS uses MOCA technology

you'll need one of the following.

a motorola NIM100

a Actiontec HME2200

or an actiontec ecb2200

0 Likes
CableSucks

Is one of these recommended over the other two?  Do they do different things?

What exactly does this do for me?  Ethernet to the TV?  Ethernet to a computer?  V OD?  Get pctures music and video from a computer to the TV?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the nim's are a little harder to find, but if you find one they work really well.   they can be cheap because you're buying them used.

the actiontec's are identical from what I can tell.    they start at about 80 bux and a lot of users here and at other forums seem to like them quite a bit.     

you should be able to do everything VOD widgets etc... 

0 Likes
CableSucks

Could I use it to get ethernet to a regular computer?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

yeah that is exactly what it is for,   the Verizon cable boxes don't have working ethernet ports in the back of them, so they are designed to be plugged into either another router or another PC .     so one end of the coax cable will go into this device, and the output of that device is ethernet so that would plug directly into your PC or ethernet enabled device.  some people plug into ruku players, or wii's or ps3's etc....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you read through this post you can find out about a deal on Actiontec's MoCA Ethernet to Coax Adapter twin-pack -- half off

also you can find a similiard deal at slickdeals.

Deal is only good for another week (thru Oct 16).

0 Likes