No picture; just snow - newly set up - help!
TxSandMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just received my Verizon DVR (ugh... had my OWN, but was told it would not work with digital... had to get Verizon's).  Have been working for 2.5 hours to set it up.  Apparently, it initialized just fine.  The clock is showing on the DVR.  But the TV is showing SNOW.  I have tried channel 3 as well as 4.  I have also tried "Video1," "Video2" and whatever other choices my TV gave me.  It is an analog TV.

The only thing I did different from the instructions was... I do NOT have an HDMI outlet on my TV so I used a red, white, and yellow cable instead. I have  NO IDEA what they are called.  So, here is what I have:

1 - coax from wall to DVR

2 - red, yellow, white cable from DVR OUT to TV IN

3 - power cord from DVR to outlet

4 - power cord from TV to outlet

Now what?  And, after I do whatever I need to do to make this right, am I going to have to go back to the internet to re-initialize?

THANKS.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No picture; just snow - newly set up - help!
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ManiacDan wrote:

If you've plugged the red/white/yellow plugs into the red/white/yellow jacks on the back of your DVR and the red/white/yellow jacks on the back of your TV, then you should be done.  You may need to switch the DVR to output over RCA (composite).  Check to see if there's a small switch next to those plugs.  My older DVD player had a switch you had to flip to get the output to be correct.  Also make sure your TV is on the right station.   It probably won't be channel 3, it will be one of the VIDEO channels. 

-Dan

There is no enable / disable for the DVR outputs.  All video outputs are active simultaneously.  Also, if you have a model 6416-2 DVR there is no coaxial (RF output) - the newer 7216 DVR does have one.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The Red and White RCA cables are Audio left and right respectively. Yellow is composite video.

The snow says you are getting nothing on the composite video. So the first things to check is to make sure that the cables are fully plugged in, and are not broken.

Make sure that the Cables on the TV set are actually plugged into something like video 1 or video 2.Whichever it is, be consistent, I.e. all 3 cables neet to go to video1 or video 2, i.e. connecting a red cable to video 1, and the yellow to Video 2 isn't going to work.

Next check the setup screen on your TV. Sometimes the video inputs needs to be turned on.

If you have video 1 and video 2, you probably also have video out. Make sure you are not connected to video out. If you are, you will get nothing  but snow and noise because that is an output, not an input.

TxSandMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mattheww - THANK YOU.  Yes, I did make sure on all of that and even double-checked after your message reply.  I called Verizon and they say it may be my component cables... that they may be the wrong ones... ???

My TV has "Video1"", "Video2," and "SVHS" options available through the remote.  It also has "NTSC" and two other options ("NTSC-" with numbers) also through the remote.

On the back of the TV, I only have "red, white, yellow" ports for IN and the same for OUT.  I also have an S-video port.

I also made sure that my TV is set to "CATV" for the antenna - via the remote.

It is still not working.  Do you think I need new cables as Verizon suggests? 

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

I haven't tried what you did exactly, but my VCR is connected to the DVR via the S-Video connection, instead of the yellow video cable. I would suggest you do the same. S-VHS is a different type of cable, and can be expected to provide considerably better picture quality than composite video. My recollection is the DVR won't properly drive both outputs, so when you connect the S-VHS cable, disconnect the yellow cable at both ends.

In any case, the TV runs 1080i, and the VCR runs Standard definition via S-VHS and it all works (it is a poor mans way around the storage limits on the DVR).

As for the wrong type of cables, the demands for component video are much higher than composite video, and the demands for audio are trivial compared to component video. So using ordinary AV cables for component video may not work very well, but using component video cables for audio and/or composite video is overkill.

One easy experiment is if you a VCR that has AV outputs, is to move the cables from the back of the DVR to a VCR, and try to play back a tape. If you can, you will know the cables and the TV are good. If it doesn't work, there is a problem with either the cables of the TV. The first problem that needs to be solved here is to determine what is actually working and what isn't.

There are two flavors of NTSC. The one used for Video tapes, DVD's, cable systems, and over the air. That is NTSC 3.58. Most TV's in the USA only understand 3.58. The variant is NTSC 4.41, and it is used in aircraft. It makes stealing tapes of aircraft entertainment system pretty useless, since most VCR and TV's cannot handle 4.41. It is also fairly easy to implement on a PAL (a color TV standard that is used is most of the world, except North America, Korea and Japan). Effectively it is PAL timing in an NTSC format.

0 Likes
ManiacDan

SandMan, you seem to be getting differing information.  There are two types of video cable, composite and component.

Composite video is the yellow cord on an RCA buncle of red, white, and yellow.  This is the lowest quality video you can get.

Component video has its own strand of 3 cables, red green and blue.  Those three cables make up the image. 

If you've plugged the red/white/yellow plugs into the red/white/yellow jacks on the back of your DVR and the red/white/yellow jacks on the back of your TV, then you should be done.  You may need to switch the DVR to output over RCA (composite).  Check to see if there's a small switch next to those plugs.  My older DVD player had a switch you had to flip to get the output to be correct.  Also make sure your TV is on the right station.   It probably won't be channel 3, it will be one of the VIDEO channels. 

If that doesn't work, try a coax cable from the verizon box to the TV, then try channel 3.  THe quality difference isn't substantial enough to worry yourself with.

If THAT doesn't work, you may actually have bad RCA cables or a bad box.  Try to switch out the RCA cables, you probably have some laying around somewhere, either for a VCR or a playstation or something.  You just need Yellow and White for testing. 

Verizon will have you check with another TV, so if you have one you may as well try that as well.  It's probably not your TV, but they have to follow your script.

-Dan

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ManiacDan wrote:

-Dan

There is no enable / disable for the DVR outputs.  All video outputs are active simultaneously.  Also, if you have a model 6416-2 DVR there is no coaxial (RF output) - the newer 7216 DVR does have one.

0 Likes