No Reminders available on DVR
metalchecker

It's a bit frustrating that you can not set reminders on a DVR. Why can't Verizon set this function on DVR's. This is a very useful function because you don't always want to record a program but just want to be reminded that it is about to air. If enough people ask for this maybe we can get this function added. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: No Reminders available on DVR
PJL
Master - Level 3

Well there is a very non-eligant work around.  Set up two recordings, one channel that you do not want to watch at the given time you want to be reminded, and the other on the channel that you do want to watch at the given time.  Don't watch the channel that you don't want to watch at the given time.  When the recorder tries to record the two scheduled channels, since you're watching something else (and there are only two tuners), you'll get a popup asking you what to do.  Cancel the recording of the channel you don't want to watch, switch to the channel you do want to watch, and cancel that recording.

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

I chatted with tech support just a few minutes ago and was told that the dvr boxes can't set reminders, but all other boxes can.  When I gave him no less than 7 reasons that I and others find this a very useful feature, he said it didn't trial well so they decided against it.  I hope others will speak up and demand this ferature too, but let's not put too much pressure on Verizon until they fix the horrible problem with the HDMI output problems.

0 Likes
sop21
Enthusiast - Level 1

One of the reasons i got rid of my DVR was because I could not set reminders (the other was that the box constantly gave of a "static" sound that kept me up at night.)  I do remember a forum a few months ago where the moderator said they were working on including the reminder feature in the DVR boxes.

0 Likes
itguy08
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not trying to be argumentative here but why would you want reminders on a DVR?

If I think I may want to watch something, I just set it to record.  If I watch it, great.  If not, delete it.  

Since you can only watch 2 programs at a time, by setting a reminder if you watch it, you take one of your tuners so you may as well watch it.  If you don't want to watch it just stop the recording.

I'm struggling with where I'd want to "mark" something in the guide and not watch it.  I guess reminders made sense when you couldn't record but with recording, it's easier just to record it.

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3
Let's say that I want to be reminded that a show is coming on and I want to watch it live, such as the Presidential address, final series of my favorite show, final table for the WSOP, sporting event, Victoria Secrets special, etc. I may also choose to record it for it one of my roommates (wife and/or kids), but I may want to watch it live and thus could benefit from a reminder. Should I have to set a timer on my watch (don't ever wear one), cell phone (probably on my desk in my home office), or microwave (it's in another room on a different floor of my house) -- you get the idea. The point is that even if I set it to record, I can't set a reminder to watch it live, which is an insane limitation given that it is such an easy feature to provide, and is available on most STBs. And yes, I do like to watch some shows "live"; although, I do watch most programming after I've recorded it to skip through commercials.
0 Likes