No variable audio output for Cisco CHS 435HDC set top box.
ff31

Background:  Until the other day I had my stb connectected to a TV, using TV sound, with an HDMI cable.  The P265v2 remote volume control changed the TV volume.  No problems.

My new TV & home theater system was recently installed.  We don't use the TV speakers.  While my first preference was to program the Verizon remote to change the volume on my Onkyo receiver, this did not appear to be an option on the remote's programming instruction page on the Verizon website.  Instead, I am directed to change a setting on the remote that makes the Verizon remote change the stb output volume vs the tv volume.  I changed the setting on the remote and ensured the stb box was set up for "variabe" audio output.

Problem:  Using the stb variable audio settings, volume settings 1 through 30 produce the same volume.  (Volume setting 0 produces no volume, as one would hope.)  It appears the "variable" setting isn't producing a variable output as it should be on this unit.

Thinking that maybe the receiver was complicating the sitation, I tried connecting the stb to the old TV and the new TV directly and had the same results.

Now, while I am watching TV, I need to have the receiver remote at hand in addition to the Verizon remote.  It would be nice to have the volume be adjustable as it should be while using the Verizon remote.  I don't like the idea of using a seperate universal remote because then I would lose some of the functionality that the Verizon remote provides when watching TV, using the DVR, watching on demand, etc.

I would like to know if this is a problem just with my unit, or if it exists with all of these units, which would hopefully be fixed with a Cisco/Verizon firmware update soon, hopefully.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: No variable audio output for Cisco CHS 435HDC set top box.
ff31

This is the manual that I used to refer to in order to try to program the remote.  It says the P265 remotes can't be programmed to change receiver volumes, but it does say it can be changed to change the STB variable volume output.  But that's the problem, the STB volume doesn't seem to be working as variable.  Same output from settings 1-30 (30 is max).

http://www22.verizon.com/nroneretail/nr/rdonlyres/323e48a1-1712-43ba-afae-85232b02615f/0/p265userman...

0 Likes
tony11nz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Variable audio output may only work for analog (R/L RCA connector) output.  All the other audio output connections are digital (optical, HDMI).

0 Likes
soups230
Having same issues with hdmi and optical. Any fix to this.
0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@soups230 wrote:
Having same issues with hdmi and optical. Any fix to this.

Hello,

In order to control the volume on your home theater system, you'll need a FiOS TV Universal Remote that has the 4-buttons on the top for 'DVD', 'Aux'iliary, 'TV' and 'STB'.  The audio receiver would have to be programmed into the FIOS TV Remote, and controlled using the 'Aux'iliary button.

Verizon's 4-Button Universal Remote Controls are available for purchase:

a) online via www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

OR

b) at a local FiOS TV store (call first to check if they have them in stock).  For a list of stores:  http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

Presently, the default remotes for new set top boxes are the 2-button P-265 (newer version) remotes.

Regarding a problem with HDMI/optical on Cisco 435 STBs, check out the following:

Go to this webpage:  http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/TV/FiOSTV/Receivers/Equipment+Issues/QuestionsOne/12839...

Click on the link for 'Cisco CHS 435 HD DVR User Guide'.

Open the PDF and go to page 22 for 'Connecting to a Home Theater System...'.

Hope this helps!