Non Moca 2.0 Splitter and Tv issues?
aerceg83
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having some issues with my Mini boxes recently.  Been back and forth with tech and hopefully we have the problem solved, but one of the last things I did was go and check my coax connection to the main box and also by the splitter.  What I noticed was the splitter that is in my garage is not MOCA 2.0, it's an older non-verizon splitter that only goes up to 1000mhz.

I have a MOCA 2.0 splitter that I got when we moved here several months ago with the self installs kits.  Do we think this could have anything to do with my tv issues? My thought is no only because it just started happening in the last few weeks, but is it worth swapping out?

My setup... ONT Box in garage, Gigabit internet, splitter splits off in garage and one goes to the Main box downstairs that is hooked up via coax, the other runs upstairs to the Quantum gateway along with an ethernet run.  Quantum gateway in middle bedroom upstairs, one mini in master bedroom, one mini in living room about 20-25 feet in either direction. 

Initially both mini's were hooked up via wifi and working fine.  Then the one in the living room started acting up (bedroom still working fine).  After back and forth with tech they decided to swap the mini in the living room.  Got that yesterday, tried to swap it out, wouldn't activate over wifi or ethernet... tech had to manually do it.  

I left it up for a while, but it started freezing again.  I have an old netgear powerline adapater so I hooked it up with that and connected via ethernet.  Worked fine for a while.. then froze. At this point I also got a channel unavailable message (which led me down a rabbit hole of possibly a signal issue and checking coax)  Bedroom doing same thing on wifi.  Chatted up tech again... they said they did a "full reset" of my line.  At this point they also suggested I check the coax connections which I went down and did, took them off, retightened them, that is when I noticed the non Moca 2.0 splitter in the garage.

Do I just wait it out and see if I have any issues, or proactively swap out the splitter?

Things seem ok so far since the last reset, but I'm wondering if swapping out the splitter would make a difference at all.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Non Moca 2.0 Splitter and Tv issues?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Swapping the splitter is a smart proactive path to take. The non 2.0 splitter is technically incompatible with the new Fios one boxes, so I'd swap it out. Also how are your minis connected? Can they go coax or ethernet? That is a far better solution than trying to use wifi. The minis are really hit or miss on wifi.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Swapping the splitter is a smart proactive path to take. The non 2.0 splitter is technically incompatible with the new Fios one boxes, so I'd swap it out. Also how are your minis connected? Can they go coax or ethernet? That is a far better solution than trying to use wifi. The minis are really hit or miss on wifi.

aerceg83
Enthusiast - Level 1

Right now the mini in the living room is hooked up via ethernet via a powerline adapater.  The mini in the bedroom is on wifi.

We just bought this house back in June, and the basement is all finished ceilings so running coax from basement to upstairs is not easily done without ripping open ceilings/walls, so the verizon tech ran a Coax to the main box which is downstairs in the gameroom, then ran coax/ethernet to the middle bedroom upstairs. He took the ethernet line outside and went through the soffit to get in that room.   The Quantum gateway is in that bedroom and then the two minis are about 20-25 feet in either direction in the other bedroom and the living room. 

I have no real easy way to run ethernet or coax to the minis or I would.  I'm hesitant to swap out the splitter now since knock on wood things have been perfect since yesterday when the full reset was down and I retightened all the coaxial cables. 

I could get another powerline adapter for the bedroom if necessary to run that off of ethernet. I know it's not the same as a straight run, but if it acts up again that may be what I do.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aerceg83 wrote:

Right now the mini in the living room is hooked up via ethernet via a powerline adapater.  The mini in the bedroom is on wifi.

We just bought this house back in June, and the basement is all finished ceilings so running coax from basement to upstairs is not easily done without ripping open ceilings/walls, so the verizon tech ran a Coax to the main box which is downstairs in the gameroom, then ran coax/ethernet to the middle bedroom upstairs. He took the ethernet line outside and went through the soffit to get in that room.   The Quantum gateway is in that bedroom and then the two minis are about 20-25 feet in either direction in the other bedroom and the living room. 

I have no real easy way to run ethernet or coax to the minis or I would.  I'm hesitant to swap out the splitter now since knock on wood things have been perfect since yesterday when the full reset was down and I retightened all the coaxial cables. 

I could get another powerline adapter for the bedroom if necessary to run that off of ethernet. I know it's not the same as a straight run, but if it acts up again that may be what I do.

If it's working well, leave it alone! The powerline extender may be a solution to the wifi mini, as they don't seem to do well with their wifi receivers.