Occasional cable issue with no sound
bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sometimes, when I turn on my TV, there will be no sound from the FiOS box, and the audio bar will be stuck on the screen and say "fixed". The only way to fix it and get the sound back is to unplug and reboot the box.

I've gotten a new box and continue to have the same issue. This is with the main FiOS tv one box (not a mini).

It seems like a software issue with the box. It only happens when I turn the TV on, and the remote turns on/off both the box and TV, so I wonder if it's some issue to do with them both turning on at the same time.

Here's a video of the issue. I also checked the diagnostic menu and it shows the cable box stuck on mute even though it shows fixed on max volume.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Video: https://youtu.be/Clk44rmcgSc

Re: Occasional cable issue with no sound
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

Sometimes, when I turn on my TV, there will be no sound from the FiOS box, and the audio bar will be stuck on the screen and say "fixed". The only way to fix it and get the sound back is to unplug and reboot the box.

I've gotten a new box and continue to have the same issue. This is with the main FiOS tv one box (not a mini).

It seems like a software issue with the box. It only happens when I turn the TV on, and the remote turns on/off both the box and TV, so I wonder if it's some issue to do with them both turning on at the same time.

Here's a video of the issue. I also checked the diagnostic menu and it shows the cable box stuck on mute even though it shows fixed on max volume.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Video: https://youtu.be/Clk44rmcgSc

First, you SHOULD have the volume control set to fixed. Check here:

Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio>Volume Control>Fixed

Next check here, and make sure you DISABLE audio selection.

Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio > Audio Selection>Disable

You may also need to disable:

Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > TV Input Control>Disable

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's already how I have my settings. I was just changing from Fixed to Variable in the video in order to demonstrate that the box ends up in a weird state where the volume is stuck on mute despite it showing that it's fixed at max volume (and changing to variable doesn't even affect what's displayed on the audio bar).

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

That's already how I have my settings. I was just changing from Fixed to Variable in the video in order to demonstrate that the box ends up in a weird state where the volume is stuck on mute despite it showing that it's fixed at max volume (and changing to variable doesn't even affect what's displayed on the audio bar).

Any chance the box is plugged into an ARC input on your TV? Try changing the input if it is and see what happens.

Also try this:

Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Fix FiOS TV Issues

Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Self Diagnostics

Could also be CEC settings in the TV menu that are conflicting with the Fios box. Try disabling CEC on the TV.

Have you tried dumping the programming on the remote and reprogramming it?

Main Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Fios TV Voice Remote

First use Reset Remote setup. Reboot Fios box. Go back in and try a MANUAL setup, this time choosing which TV you have, instead of letting the box decide. Again reboot box after making the changes.

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not plugged into an ARC port - my soundbar is using the ARC port.

The self diagnostics had no issues.

The "Fix FiOS TV Issues" workflow ran and I'll see if the issue happens again, but I've had FiOS tech support agents reset my box multiple times so I'm not optimistic.

The CEC function on my TV can only be turned on/off for all inputs, and if I turn it off I can't use my soundbar over ARC so that's not an option.

I've reprogrammed my remote multiple times, most recently manually using my TV's model number.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

It's not plugged into an ARC port - my soundbar is using the ARC port.

The self diagnostics had no issues.

The "Fix FiOS TV Issues" workflow ran and I'll see if the issue happens again, but I've had FiOS tech support agents reset my box multiple times so I'm not optimistic.

The CEC function on my TV can only be turned on/off for all inputs, and if I turn it off I can't use my soundbar over ARC so that's not an option.

I've reprogrammed my remote multiple times, most recently manually using my TV's model number.

So does the Fios box plug directly into the TV or does it loop through the soundbar? Any chance there is an occasional conflict with the soundbar? Can you disconnect the soundbar for a while and see if the Fios box screws up again?

PL101
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same problem. I have a Samsung TV if it matters. I turn on the TV and switch inputs to the TV One. There is no sound and the fixed audio bar is stuck on upper right of the screen. Only a reboot will work. I think I found a solution (as opposed to the fix). I changed the Auto-Power off to the OFF position. So, when I switch to the input, the box is already powered on. So far, this has worked since I changed the settings yesterday. I am glad to know returning the box will do no good because I was wondering if the box was defective.

Here is a copy of the post I made in dslreports.com (EDIT:I don't know why the images don't show up?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33320635-Is-my-TV-One-box-defective)

--------------------------

So, I usually only watch TV with my TiVo Bolt. Because of the Olympics being in 4K, I was checking a channel and I had no volume. This "Fixed" image was frozen top right of screen.

So, I rebooted the VMS 4100 box (Ver. APR-7.11) and the sound came back. A few days later, I go to the input and I find the same frozen image and no sound. A reboot fixed it again. I tried every audio setting I could find and nothing would change.

Here is the original view with no sound:

Here is the view after a reboot WITH sound, and no Fixed 30:

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Submitted images are queued for approval by a moderator. Once approved, they will appear. 🙂

PL101
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, Thanks!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PL10 wrote:

I have the exact same problem. I have a Samsung TV if it matters. I turn on the TV and switch inputs to the TV One. There is no sound and the fixed audio bar is stuck on upper right of the screen. Only a reboot will work. I think I found a solution (as opposed to the fix). I changed the Auto-Power off to the OFF position. So, when I switch to the input, the box is already powered on. So far, this has worked since I changed the settings yesterday. I am glad to know returning the box will do no good because I was wondering if the box was defective.

Here is a copy of the post I made in dslreports.com (EDIT:I don't know why the images don't show up?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33320635-Is-my-TV-One-box-defective)

--------------------------

So, I usually only watch TV with my TiVo Bolt. Because of the Olympics being in 4K, I was checking a channel and I had no volume. This "Fixed" image was frozen top right of screen.

So, I rebooted the VMS 4100 box (Ver. APR-7.11) and the sound came back. A few days later, I go to the input and I find the same frozen image and no sound. A reboot fixed it again. I tried every audio setting I could find and nothing would change.

Here is the original view with no sound:

Here is the view after a reboot WITH sound, and no Fixed 30:

I know a while back there WAS an issue with Samsung firmware updates that caused problems with the Fios box. You might want to check on a firmware update for your TV. Your method of leaving the Fios box powered works by not having to reset the handshake between the TV and Fios box every time you switch to it. Also repost to here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect . That will give Tech support a heads up on the problem.