Re: Occasional cable issue with no sound
PL101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, Thanks @clem53

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My cable box is plugged directly into the TV via HDMI. The TV's only HDMI-ARC port is used for sound out to the soundbar.

0 Likes
bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like the exact same issue I'm experiencing. I also have a Samsung TV FWIW.

I've always had the auto power-off turned off on my TV, so for me it's seemed unrelated.

0 Likes
bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, the FiOS TV one remotes only have a single power button which turns on/off both the TV and the box, so even if the box doesn't turn off on its own after a period of time, it ends up turning on and off frequently whenever my TV turns on/off.

>I know a while back there WAS an issue with Samsung firmware updates that caused problems with the Fios box. 

There are no new updates available for my TV. Regardless of the Samsung firmware, it shouldn't be possible for the FiOS box to end up in a state where it's locked on mute and yet displaying 30/30 volume. Samsung firmware or something else may be triggering this, but this demonstrates an issue with the box itself.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

Unfortunately, the FiOS TV one remotes only have a single power button which turns on/off both the TV and the box, so even if the box doesn't turn off on its own after a period of time, it ends up turning on and off frequently whenever my TV turns on/off.

>I know a while back there WAS an issue with Samsung firmware updates that caused problems with the Fios box. 

There are no new updates available for my TV. Regardless of the Samsung firmware, it shouldn't be possible for the FiOS box to end up in a state where it's locked on mute and yet displaying 30/30 volume. Samsung firmware or something else may be triggering this, but this demonstrates an issue with the box itself.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of handshake issue with the Fios Box and the soundbar. Can you try hooking the soundbar up with an optical cable instead of HDMI? Or try unhooking the soundbar for a trial, and see if the problem still exists. Also make sure yo post to the Fios Direct forum on DSL reports. They'll be able to analyze the issue from the Tech side.

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which forum exactly are you referring to? This one?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

Which forum exactly are you referring to? This one?

Here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Or you can get support on Twitter.

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I posted there.

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

After going back and forth with VZ_Direct on DSLReports a few times, they told me to reach out on Twitter or Facebook for further support. This doesn't seem promising.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg1 wrote:

After going back and forth with VZ_Direct on DSLReports a few times, they told me to reach out on Twitter or Facebook for further support. This doesn't seem promising.

I'll try with one of my contacts to see if there is anything else to do.