Old DVR issues
brandonguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Been a FIOS customer for four years now and quite happy with the quality of internet and tv.   We got 2 hd-dvrs and one sd-stb.  The two dvrs have been giving us grief for a little while so I decided to take them to the vz store to get replaced.   (One was always freezing up and rebooting, while the other box's fan was louder than a 747)..     So got the boxes replaced (6416-2) replaced with (6416-1) - would have liked the newer boxes but was just happy to get working boxes - supposedly working boxes.  And did i mention they changed my DVR monthly fee from 12.99 to 15.99 just because i needed a repair - awesome!

My adventure began after getting the new boxes setup.  Nearly immediately one of the boxes died - no response at all, so had that shipping/replaced.  The other is just crazy slow - slower than the original box.  For about 2 weeks we've been at least able to watch tv which was challenging before 🙂

Now, the box we had replaced and then replaced again is now deciding to go bad!   Middle of the night it seems like some maintenance/check is happening on it but the hard drive must have issues as it sounds like a loud clicking for about 30 minutes...  a great sound to wake up too when it hours before time to wake up.

I'm afraid of contacting support again as it seems like the replacements they send out are just other people's rejects and then i'll be stuck without watching/recording with whatever junk shows up 😞  

Beyond paying $40 or $50 each there needs to be a way to get a replacements to the new model - not a reject.   After all the money I've spent for 4 years for the DVRs and STB (around $1500) i think i have easily paid for them and should be able to get some of the newer equipment that works without paying an 'upgrade' fee!    Especially since i also just renewed for another 2yrs and increased our subscribed serivces.

I just wish there was some better treatment available for existing customers or at least more quality controls around the replacement equipment!

0 Likes
Re: Old DVR issues
prisaz
Legend

I pointed this out to Verizon employees. Perhap the 7216 would be better to replace the boxes. It has the same amount of storage, but does not have the larger drive storage as the 7232, and there should be no upgrade fee to get the 7216. The 6416 and below have been around for quite some time. I believe they should not be issuing the older boxes, they do not support the img 1.9 HD Guide that is out in all but two areas. The 7216 with img 1.9 will support the eSATA storage expansion if you would like more space at a later date.

PS.

On a second note, anytime a DVR is removed from an account and another added, it seems that the grandfatherd price is lost. I had that issue a few years back, and well once it is gone it is gone. The price goes up a little.

Re: Old DVR issues
brandonguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mistyped a bit... the one replacement i received was a 7216, although thats also the one with the loud drive 🙂

0 Likes