Re: One Channel Freezing Up
carol251
Enthusiast - Level 2

omg, did you find out what the problem is, this happens constantly on my tv. channel 504 freezes, sometimes pullling the plug works other times not.  Please help.

0 Likes
PG171
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon told me about a work around ! Turned off the HD tuning in settings. That didn’t work either. 

0 Likes
Cloudyplusplus
Enthusiast - Level 3

@petesza wrote:

I just hung up with Deshawn from VZ support with this EXACT same issue, same channel 504.  Of course that is Survivor, Jeopardy and all the shows my wife and I watch (and tape) the most.  When it freezes nothing is recorded on the DVR either.  This problem has been going on for years.  We have had FiOS for ever and moved to the Quantum router and latest set top box and this same channel has been having this same problem for years (it does come and go).  I told Deshawn about this and was not familiar with the issue but did reach out to other VZ SME's who confirmed the issue.  He came back with the following "Work around" until VZ can fix the bug in their head end:

Using your remote go to:
1 Menu
2 Settings
3 System
4 Television
5 Auto Tune To HD (scroll down a bit for this one)
6 Turn that OFF and then save/ok

Unfortunately we already had our turned OFF so it is not a "work around" fix for us.  I turned it ON and then OFF again to see if that might do something. 

I swear it happens more often when you rewind and fast forward live TV.  I figure with all the FiOS subscribers watching Survivor in broadcast mode then start rewinding, fast forwarding past commercials, etc, it gets hosed up even worse.  When will VZ ever move to IP TV?  

If anyone has any other info please post!  With ~5 minutes to reboot the box it's always a rush to fix before Survivor starts!

I received the same advice when I called tech support a couple days ago. Actually, they mentioned toggling it, not switch it to "Off". Mine was already set to "Off", so I tried toggling it to "On". Nope! 

Autotune HD is a setting that if you tune to a SD version of any channel (channel 4 in this case), it will automatically tune to the HD version (channel 504, the offending channel.) 

So, setting Autotune HD to "Off" will allow you to watch or record the SD version of the channel (as a work around). However, it doesn't resolve the problematic HD 504 nor does it help if you have a series of recordings scheduled on 504. However, until they fix it, it's really the only dependable method for viewing/recording this channel (I hope.)

petesza1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We were watching Jeopardy last night on 504 and guess what?  It happened again twice!  So the first time I got into the My FiOS app on my phone and ran through the process to reset my FiOS One set top box.  That takes about 5 minutes or so, feels like a lot longer as I hum the Jeopardy tune in my head....  It could not have been 5 minutes after everything came back on and Jeopardy froze the second time!  So this time I called VZ tech support ready to let them know that this issue is blowing up on their vz.com forums and this time their ACD recognized my phone number after I dialed in and asked me if I was calling about the same issue.  I hit #1 for a big YES and they told me that a fix was going in at midnight.  I have not checked yet but assuming that means it went in last night (Friday) and we should be back to watching CBS Channel 4 on HD channel 504.  Fingers crossed.....

0 Likes
Cloudyplusplus
Enthusiast - Level 3

@petesza wrote:

We were watching Jeopardy last night on 504 and guess what?  It happened again twice!  So the first time I got into the My FiOS app on my phone and ran through the process to reset my FiOS One set top box.  That takes about 5 minutes or so, feels like a lot longer as I hum the Jeopardy tune in my head....  It could not have been 5 minutes after everything came back on and Jeopardy froze the second time!  So this time I called VZ tech support ready to let them know that this issue is blowing up on their vz.com forums and this time their ACD recognized my phone number after I dialed in and asked me if I was calling about the same issue.  I hit #1 for a big YES and they told me that a fix was going in at midnight.  I have not checked yet but assuming that means it went in last night (Friday) and we should be back to watching CBS Channel 4 on HD channel 504.  Fingers crossed.....

Yeah, it's still a problem. I called again this morning and was told it would be fixed by noon today. I've not checked it yet, but don't have a lot of confidence at this point.

0 Likes
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you actually kept a log of how often it happens? I watched WBZ 504 for about an hour this morning (but not on the main box) and it didn't seem to be a problem. Yesterday I felt like it was much worse.

0 Likes
ghwwe72

Having the same issue with this channel the last few days wish they would fix it!

0 Likes
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update, the problem still persists. I’m thinking about cutting the cord because of this. 

0 Likes
Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just thought of something else. I know a few people have said they feel like this starting happening when they upgraded to Fios TV One. I upgraded to One back in November and it wasn’t happening back then but I remember it happened for about a day in January, then was fine for awhile though it would sometimes happen once every few weeks or so, but last week it really started getting bad. But what I wanted to ask: does everyone here who has been experiencing the problem have Fios TV One? Because I saw someone said they know someone in Acton who hasn’t seen the problem. And I know this normally may sound strange, but do you think it would be possible to downgrade from Fios TV One back to the system before it?

0 Likes
Michael7851
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon has been dragging their heels on this problem for months now. A ticket has been around for quite some time to fix the issue but the only updates which come daily is that it will be fixed by each day by noon.

0 Likes